Freight shipment Q

I am looking for a set of seats on eBay…
I do not have anywhere with a commercial dock and some don’t offer residential delivery.

How would I/can I request shipment to a local terminal by me and I go pick it up from there?

Are there any other options? Never used freight before really so I just don’t know!

Thanks!

Who is paying or arranging the shipping for this ? Without an account, the charges will be outrageous but if the shipper uses freight companies, they'll have discounts.

Most "LTL" freight/trucking companies (this is what you'll use) offer residential delivery. They will charge more for it being residential and will probably charge for lift gate service too unless you can lift the seats off yourself. You'll want the seats on a pallet because otherwise, they have to move them by hand and can easily be damaged. When goods are loose like that, good luck having a successful damage claim too.

Got any friends that run a business with a dock?

Like Hall said, that is going to be $$$$$$$$.

I've heard of people using Grayhound in the past, but it would have to be something the seller is up for.

Get a full quote before you commit, I could see it being several hundred dollars because seats are so large, even if they're not heavy.

Ask the seller to see if they include residential delivery; if not see what options the seller has for you.

Also make sure to have liftgate service at least (might be additional charge.) Some freight companies will also charge another fee to bring the package to your garage that also has to be setup when the shipping details are created. Make sure you decide which one or both you want because some companies will not deliver it if you didn't pay for liftgate/drive-way fees regardless if you're standing next to the truck.

Got any friends that run a business with a dock?

Like Hall said, that is going to be $$$$$$$$.

I've heard of people using Grayhound in the past, but it would have to be something the seller is up for.

Get a full quote before you commit, I could see it being several hundred dollars because seats are so large, even if they're not heavy.
Greyhound use to be a great resource to ship large car parts, like bumpers. Regrettably, Greyhound no longer ships car parts ;(.

I could see it being several hundred dollars
I just checked shipping with Fedex Freight, 200#, and only going ~100. Base rate is over $500 before my discounts, then add fuel surcharge.

Residential surcharge = $204
Lift gate surcharge = $113

I just checked shipping with Fedex Freight, 200#, and only going ~100. Base rate is over $500 before my discounts, then add fuel surcharge.

Residential surcharge = $204
Lift gate surcharge = $113
Oof

Gonna need to be some special seats.

From how far away are these seats coming? You might want to drive it yourself.
If it's a "non-professional" seller, you might not be able to trust the way the seats are packaged / palleted.

Having to listen to the trucking guys dream up shipping options (using the liftgate costs $113) is galling.

Having to listen to the trucking guys dream up shipping options (using the liftgate costs $113) is galling.
If you have a proper account, that charge is typically reduced substantially. Fact is though, trucking companies would probably prefer not to deal with residential deliveries - having to negotiate neighborhood streets, having to schedule the delivery (hehe, you don't get a "window" from 2pm to 4pm, you get "Tuesday, between 8am and 6pm"), etc.

I'm curious how this ends up for the OP. Even picking it up at the trucking company's terminal is likely to be overly complicated. Best option, though not always possible or practical, is have it delivered to a business that can unload it.

Sometimes, items like this can be shipped by Fastenal. (The nut and bolt hole-in-the-wall store) Shipping is somewhat slow and there ARE restrictions, but if it can fit on their truck and you aren’t shipping from coast to coast, it’s doable. Of course, the shipper would have to take the items to a Fastenal and you’d have to go to one to pick up the item. Talk to someone in person. I was told that the website doesn’t always agree with in-store policy.

I've done dock pickup literally HUNDREDS of times (for work)-just got to make sure everything is paid up front, and your name & phone # is on the bill of lading. They'll call you, you go to the freight office, they'll find it & bring it out to you. Should be easy.

If you have a proper account, that charge is typically reduced substantially. Fact is though, trucking companies would probably prefer not to deal with residential deliveries - having to negotiate neighborhood streets, having to schedule the delivery (hehe, you don't get a "window" from 2pm to 4pm, you get "Tuesday, between 8am and 6pm"), etc.
And we won't even get into the fees associated with missing the delivery :oops:

This is what I do daily and freight cost is all over the board, it's based on zip at best and specific addresses at worst. Then there is the liftgate fee, resi delivery fee, and now fuel surcharge.

We recently had a customer who wanted white glove service, the cost went up 200% three houses down for no other reason that I or anyone else could think of. The only reason we knew this is because we were given the wrong address and the cost increase gave me a pause, so I reached out if they were sure they wanted white glove based on cost. I found out it was the wrong address which did exist but only 3 houses down. Once I entered the correct one it dropped to expensive but normal for that service. Luckily we never pay for the freight, it's usually a third party cost.

We used to be able to ship a pallet of freight from the NE to LA for only $250, weight wasn't important unless it was like a 6,000 lb pallet just size. It was was usually a major carrier and sometimes even included the liftgate fee for residential delivery. Not anymore, that tripled in some cases now with size & weight restrictions.

When we get deliveries from even local carriers the freight is also treated like hell. So unless this guy is very diligent about making sure the seats are secure, wrapped, & strapped to the pallet they will get damaged. Drivers don't care because the dock workers care even less. My FIL is suing his company over the dock workers damaging a pallet and then the pallet falling on him while he was unloading his truck. We've had ton of product damaged from idiot dock workers putting a forklift forks threw it. The claim process is exhausting to say the least.

If you can, pick them up yourself or try and find a friend/relative to get them for you. I live near Philadelphia in PA so if I can help send me PM. Odds are the freight cost will match the seat costs.

Back