eBay experts / got ripped off

This is a first....ordered an item on eBay and seller put tracking info that did not pertain to the item. My item was Lego, and the tracking was for a 20 package shipment to Philadelphia. I don't live in Philadelphia.

Doesn't seem to be any way to contact eBay (I remember talking to them on the phone maybe 3 years ago)--any quick steps to dispute, before it's too late?

I requested a refund and provided negative feedback, but if I were a betting man, I'm out of luck.

Thanks!

You'll get your money back if the seller can't provide tracking to the shipping address you provided. It's possible the seller just uploaded the wrong tracking number.

You'll get your money back if the seller can't provide tracking to the shipping address you provided.
The thing is, there seems to be no way to contact eBay whatsoever. That's really surprising. It did say something about stepping in after 6 business days. Kinda interesting how low people can go, and the things they think up. Thing is, somewhere along the line the guy's address showed up in West Chester, PA, and I was thinking of driving over there. It was a townhome (I don't know where it showed up, somewhere as I saw it).

edit found it, it's on the original email confirmation. Shows seller's home address.

I ordered some oil from Walmart very recently and it was a scam seller who did the same exact thing. I habitually seperately track everything direct with fedex/ups/usps and watched it ship and delivered 1200 miles away.

I suspect the scam sellers put in any tracking number that could be legitimate and not their own and hope you dont file an objection and pocket the rest. Seems short term dumb to me but they probably just recycle ebay/walmart seller accounts over and over.

The thing is, there seems to be no way to contact eBay whatsoever. That's really surprising. It did say something about stepping in after 6 business days. Kinda interesting how low people can go, and the things they think up. Thing is, somewhere along the line the guy's address showed up in West Chester, PA, and I was thinking of driving over there. It was a townhome (I don't know where it showed up, somewhere as I saw it).

edit found it, it's on the original email confirmation. Shows seller's home address.

You have to open a case online, they'll ask the seller for tracking and go from there. You can't open the case until the estimated time for shipping has passed.

sigh, the guy is 52 years old, and used to live in my town, before moving to West Chester, PA lol

I've really had only 1 other bad experience on eBay in 20 years. Can you imagine though doing that over $34?

You have to open a case online, they'll ask the seller for tracking and go from there. You can't open the case until the estimated time for shipping has passed.
I see, it was estimated next Tue, but delivered today, maybe that's it....

I normally hold off negative feedback until the issue is resolved. No need to overreact.

I hope eBay allows to change feedback now that you have received your item.
To clarify, fake tracking was entered and that fake tracking shows delivered. 20 packages to a different city. Imho the fake tracking is to get paid. I would not have thought of that.

Overreact…. 😂 it’s all good.

To clarify, fake tracking was entered and that fake tracking shows delivered. 20 packages to a different city. Imho the fake tracking is to get paid. I would not have thought of that.

Overreact…. 😂 it’s all good.

If the seller is pulling a scam, he's not doing it correctly. That's not going to get him anything except kicked off the platform.

If the seller is pulling a scam, he's not doing it correctly. That's not going to get him anything except kicked off the platform.
Seriously, apparently I have no way of telling anyone that the tracking doesn't match the item. The item is < 1 lb. It should be going to my town. The tracking is for a 20 package delivery, 10 lbs, each package, from Iowa to Philadelphia. I think that the delivered status triggers release of payment...I'm no expert but when I sold items that's when I got paid...I think the moral of the story is don't buy from anyone who has less than a 99.9% feedback rating. This guy was like 96% and has similar negative comments about not receiving item and no response....

I am done with Ebay. They have gone down the tubes. Difficult to get a resolution anymore. I walked away from $39.00 recently because I got the run around and it was not worth my time. Learned my lesson. Never again.
It's too bad as I've always considered it a way to get vintage things and if lucky for a good price. Even Snap On tools. But there is literally seemingly no way to call or chat with anyone, nor even report what happened immediately. as mentioned above one has to make contact with the seller and get no response first.

It's too bad as I've always considered it a way to get vintage things and if lucky for a good price. Even Snap On tools. But there is literally seemingly no way to call or chat with anyone, nor even report what happened immediately. as mentioned above one has to make contact with the seller and get no response first.
Yep. A real sham.

Did you talk to the seller first before trying to contact eBay?
^^^ This. And before you say it can't be done, it can. Once you have a transaction, you can obtain the telephone number of the seller. The tools are there, just takes some experience on how to use them. Leaving negative feedback so early is dumb.

I've accumulated just over 1000 feedback on ebay over 23 years, mostly selling computer parts, auto parts, and sometimes video games and tools.

The past few years I was hit by a few scam buyers claiming packages were stolen or broken. The most recent was about 3 months ago where I sold a charcoal canister for a Scion Tc. I took many many photos. the buyer reported it arrived damaged during shipping and attached photos of one of the plastic hose inputs broken off. I've worked on vehicles, I personally took that charcoal canister off, and I CUT hoses. I dont break hose inputs. Clearly the buyer broke it then tried to pass it back onto me. Ebay took care of me when I disputed the heck out of it and i actually won the appeal, which is extremely rare. I'll still sell on ebay but the commission + shipping is insane.

I helped lead a project to sell product with my own company on Amazon FBA, and our conclusion was the 30% take was too much to stomach. Ecommerce sucks, Ebay sucks.

Back