Free Spybot- Search and Destroy. Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone hear anything good or bad about spybot search and destroy ?
My IP person installed it into 2 of my computers and said this is a good program to look for keystroke recorders. It picked up a lot of things but i dont do any banking or buying on my pc why do i need this?
If someone wants to snoop they would get bored fast, lol

Not impressed with the interface and thus I have not really used it.. I've heard some good things about it in the past though. Malwarebytes and the ESET online scan are better.

First and for most my browsers run in sandbox.

After that I store all downloaded programs into a sandboxed 500gb portable hard drive. I scan it every few days and watch it. Mostly heuristic scanner scanners that just watch the programs.

Before I actually install/keep a program or item I hit it with malwarebytes pro 2.0 and with Norton 360 (say what you want about Norton but its never done me wrong). As long as you use Norton on a competent system it runs perfectly fine.

I don't think I could get a virus even if I intentionally tried.

Last edited:
It's just one of the tools in my toolbox. I wouldn't just use it alone, but in conjuntion with other programs as well. I do like the immunization function, thought I believe it may not have been updated in sometime.

In the past it was really good, but I haven't used it in a couple of years so I don't know how well it's been maintained. it's interface was never anything to brag about, but is used to do a really good job finding stuff.

Since you don't do any banking on the system you might think that you don't need to worry about securing the system, but that's not true. It's not just about key loggers, the unwanted applications can also use any internet connection to continue to try and compromise other computers, send spam, track your computer usage, monitor your keystrokes to take over non-financial accounts, identify passwords so they can try and get into your financial accounts, get into any webcam to spy on you or your and take pictures, etc. etc. etc. People don't realize how often the webcam one happens, if anyone has a child with a computer w/web cam in their room (like a dorm room, or even their room at home), cover the camera with a post-it or something. There are people out there collecting images of people changing, or when they get out of showers, etc. Webcams get compromised all the time, and it's such a simple thing people don't think about when they think of securing their computers.

You might not care if someone gets some software on your system, but don't give internet scum a place to hide an do more of their work. Always keep your system patched/updated, always run an antivirus and firewall, and scan with a quality malware scanner.

Have they changed the program at all? I used it about 3 years ago on a neighbors machine and wasn't impressed with it at all. It found nothing that Malwarebytes and SAS didn't find. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
First and for most my browsers run in sandbox.

After that I store all downloaded programs into a sandboxed 500gb portable hard drive. I scan it every few days and watch it. Mostly heuristic scanner scanners that just watch the programs.

Before I actually install/keep a program or item I hit it with malwarebytes pro 2.0 and with Norton 360 (say what you want about Norton but its never done me wrong). As long as you use Norton on a competent system it runs perfectly fine.

I don't think I could get a virus even if I intentionally tried.

That seems like a bit much. Smart browsing habits and an AV program will keep you safe from 99.9999999% of stuff out there.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Spybot has saved my computers numerous times, finding problems nothing else did.

+1

it was good years ago.. kinda blah now.

I start with eset.. even their free scan, then move onto malwarebytes.

IF that doesnt fix it.. or I'm not confident it gets a restore from backup, or if not available a factory restore/fresh windows install whatever applicable.

Its usually best to run from safe mode since that disables 90% of the trash temporarily and lets you remove it easier.

Last edited:
If I find something for a reiliable source I don't question it just install, but in the case I need something from a less the. Shady server I like to look out. I can't really control what the kids do with the computer and there video games.

The sandbox is mainly to prevent drive bys and day one exploits. 90% of the time I don't need to do anything. I frequently visit unreliable websites.

Get it.

I've had it for years now and it has removed [censored] and bots that my McAfee missed, and got thru the firewall. No down side.

I have used Malwarebytes for years but don't care for the new version as well. I have stopped using it since it crashes immediately upon starting up now. I have uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. I have given up.

Just prior to clicking on this website, I ran Free Malwarebytes and it found nothing. Gave me a big green Check-Mark for All Sytems Go.
I then immediately ran Free Spybot 1.6 and it flagged CouponBar (coupon.com) for two entries.

I uninstalled CouponBar a couple weeks ago, thru the Control Panel/Programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back