Free belt wear gauge Gates

Status
Not open for further replies.
So got mine in the mail yesterday, I forget when I actually asked for it, but it must have been a month or so ago, have not tried it yet.
So they do ship to Canada.

I am scratching my head. How do I use this contraption? Don't tell me it is a glorified "Lincoln Head Penny Tire Tester" highly calibrated Snap-On instrument!!

Thats kinda it. You lay the long tail in a groove and feel the height. If its below the surface of the belt, its good to go. If its even its almost due and if you can feel it it above the groove, it is time to change.

I did not realize there was a standard for the tread depth of drive belts. I will see if my 152K drive belt passes the Gates Test tonight.

So when did industry moved from measuring the deflection of the belt to determine if the belt is tightened correctly to mongo spring-loaded idler pulley on it and pray it is right model? Do all multi-ribbed belt use automatic spring loaded pensioner?

- Vikas

Last edited:
Tested my OEM belt on the sierra, tested good with the gates thinga mabober. However the belt had elongated agter 131k miles and almost 9 years, it does not test stretching unfortunentally. Replaced it with a Gates made in USA, last one NAPA had that was made in the states.

Originally Posted By: defektes
Tested my OEM belt on the sierra, tested good with the gates thinga mabober. However the belt had elongated agter 131k miles and almost 9 years, it does not test stretching unfortunentally. Replaced it with a Gates made in USA, last one NAPA had that was made in the states.
thank you for finally changing that belt. you were giving me heartburn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back