I received 10 of the new Gates Serpentine Belt Wear Gauges today for free.

I wanted to get the new Gates Serpentine Belt Wear Gauge and called around the different auto-parts stores. No one has them. But an O'Rileys store was very nice and looked into availability and called me back about an hour later with a part number 443-0382 and said that there warehouse could get them but there would be a shipping fee (probably around $15.00) .

I went back on the Gatesbeltwear.com site and entered a message and said that with all of my brothers and sisters and friends and my mechanic and myself that I actually could use 10 of the free serpentine belt wear gauges so I could give one to them also. Today I received a FedEX envelope with two smaller envelopes in it that each had 5 of the new design Gates belt wear gauges in them ( 10 in total ), and 4 pieces of paper each showing how to use it.

There is a little hole on the back of them, and I attached a shoestring to two of them with a loop on the end to put around the users arm incase it is dropped when using and gave one of those to my mechanic, and the other one is for me. I will be giving the others to my siblings and friends. I am starting to think that a much lighter weight string might be a better choice because in watching that video again this evening I noticed that one way to see that a belt is very good is to let the gauge actually stay in the belt just by fit without holding it. Maybe dental floss would be light enough but still plenty strong enough to have a lanyard on it with a loop around your arm so you do not have to go trying to retrieve it if it falls down in the engine bay.

It was nice of Gates to send these at there cost to me. No bill for them or for the shipping, just a packing list showing:

item Number 443-0382-R5 Gates Belt Wear Gauge - Large Lot 03-01-01 Quantity 2 EA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess the R5 refers to the smaller envelope of 5 of them.

You can check out the YouTube videos on Gates Serpentine Belt Wear Gauge to see how this new gauge works.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want one, log into Gatesbeltwear.com and go to the bottom of that site and send them a polite message asking for it.

Stay safe everyone.

Last edited:
I have the "old" one. What's the difference?
Look at the YouTube video on how the new one works.

I have the old one also. Right now it is lent to one of my brothers so he could check all the vehicles in his family.

The old one checks depth of groves. The new one checks width of groves, as some say it is easier to use and a more accurate indicator.

Back