Fran Ultra XG8 Prefill. Fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to service my 02 jeep for winter Sunday if it stops snowing. So i always prefill my filters. Did it to day. Using pennzoil platinum 5W30 HM XG8 ultra (longer version of the XG16).
Filled filter to bottom of the threads and watched the oil disappear. Filled again same thing. Took no time to fill the filter. Normally I use a wix or motorcraft (thought I give the old girl a treat) and it does take more time to prefill.
So a lot of guys on bitog have stated that synthetic media (fram ultra) flows better then paper. Is this an indication of that?? Or is this observation of mine meaningles.

Of course if the oil flows faster through the media when pre-filling then it's flowing better.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Why not just pour the oil into the filter 1 minute before you change it???

Just wanted to get a head start on it. Fill today install tomorrow.

I don't get it
21.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Of course if the oil flows faster through the media when pre-filling then it's flowing better.

Yes, and we've got all these people with their unders in a wad because the factory PSI doesn't match the bypass spring.

Just run a Fram XG, a Donaldson Synteq or other synthetic media and you won't have to worry about a "bypass event".

I'll bet the new Mobil 1 filter doesn't pass this flow test!

Is the filter mounted horizontally on these?

What keeps the oil from just running out during installation and making a mess?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad

Common sense when pre-filling.
wink.gif

Horizontal = only fill about 1/3 the way full

You can fill more than half way - - if the ADBV seals tight and you can get right up to the threaded stud

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Is the filter mounted horizontally on these?

The filter element.

If you overfill, and still see oil in the center tube, then you risk making a mess.

I've noticed the difference in filling speed also. Of course temp. and oil have lot to do with it, but a synthetic fiber should allow the oil to slide by quicker. More support for use new oil filters more often, not use them till they fill up.
Higher bypass is required on some cars due to the variable speed oil pump and the sensor that tells the pump to slow down or speed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back