Fram Ultra XG9688 - 9000 miles on Hyundai GDI

But apparently it keeps piston tops clean! 85K Hyundai 2.0L

[Linked Image]

My girlfriend's Hyundai 2.4 is jet black shortly after an oil change. By the end of a 3 month, 2k oil change you can't see the dipstick through the oil. It has 70k miles.

Originally Posted by Brian553
How certain are you that the material shown in the can of your filter is soot? Those particles are not the size I would expect GDI soot to be...
If you shed light showing that those particulates are definitely soot, then this would further bolster any apprehension regarding extending the OCI and OFCI.

What was on the sides of the inner can was an accumulation of a soot-like substance, I do not know how to judge any such particulate matter by size to the naked eye. I am convinced that there is no need to further extend an OCI or OFI at this point beyond what I described in an earlier post.

If a Fram Titanium or Ultra gets the job done for 7500 miles I am happy. I have read to many comments along the lines of, "if you don't use your oil and/or filter as long as I would you are wasting the product, money, etc." I am not one of those people, I spend the money and get the usage I am satisfied with and everyone else is free to do the same
smile.gif

Wow!

In contrast, my oil filters come out looking like new except a few scattered tiny black particles after twice that mileage, and a finger up the tailpipe comes out clean, soot-free. Not GDI, though.

The 2.0 Nu GDI in my 2017 Tucson doesn't blacken the oil much.
No more than the 1zz-fe in my previous 2006 Toyota Matrix.

Originally Posted by circuitsmith

What's odd is-that I have read a couple different articles stating that the cheaper-priced Cellulose filter media, works best at blocking / trapping soot / carbon.

Go figure that! That's when I switched to AC Delco Ecores. Still good at filtering & contains cellulose.... 98 Efficiency @ 25/30 microns. It's pressure and flow tests almost identical to OEM.

Only downturn with the AC Delco PF1127 is nitrile ADBV. But I change my Hyundai oil at 4k..... Kia at 5k.

What's odd is-that I have read a couple different articles stating that the cheaper-priced Cellulose filter media, works best at blocking / trapping soot / carbon.

Go figure that! That's when I switched to AC Delco Ecores. Still good at filtering & contains cellulose.... 98 Efficiency @ 25/30 microns. It's pressure and flow tests almost identical to OEM.

Only downturn with the AC Delco PF1127 is nitrile ADBV. But I change my Hyundai oil at 4k..... Kia at 5k.

By no means questioning you just wanting to know, where did you find the specs for the pf1127 filter? Been considering that one for a subaru of mine!

My take has to do with the fact that carbon soot particulate matter agglomerates and cellulose fibers are much thicker than synthetic mesh. On one hand the porous nature of cellulose might be able to trap some of the smaller particulate matter within it, however, I would submit that synthetic media would be better at capturing larger particulate matter AND allowing for those larger chunks to agglomerate the smaller particles.

Filters like the Fram Titanium/Ultra and the Champ XL/Royal Purple/Amsoil are reported to capture well down to the 5 micron level so for my part that is what I would consider sticking with.

My take has to do with the fact that carbon soot particulate matter agglomerates and cellulose fibers are much thicker than synthetic mesh. On one hand the porous nature of cellulose might be able to trap some of the smaller particulate matter within it, however, I would submit that synthetic media would be better at capturing larger particulate matter AND allowing for those larger chunks to agglomerate the smaller particles.

Filters like the Fram Titanium/Ultra and the Champ XL/Royal Purple/Amsoil are reported to capture well down to the 5 micron level so for my part that is what I would consider sticking with.

This is correct. The depth filter media is able to hold much larger quantities of contaminants while at the same time offering better flow and finer filtration.

This is the can from a Fram Ultra that I put almost 20k over three oil changes on it. My Sebring has the 2.4 World Engine that was designed by Chrysler and Hyundai, I believe. Just a little bit of carbon in the dome. Yeah, I know I hacked the can. I used a cold chisel because I don’t have a filter cutter and an angle grinder leaves too much crap to see what’s really there. If I remember correctly, my Sebring has around 185k on it when I took this.
ADA49352-96FC-42C7-AC62-9BBCE19620F2.jpeg

L8R,
Matt

I used several XG9688s on my recently departed Sonata 2.4, they did a significantly better job than the OEM filters at keeping the oil cleaner looking on the dipstick for longer. The XG9688 that was on it when I sold it was 4,000 miles into it's 3rd OCI, the preceeding ones were 5900 and 4100 miles respectively. No noises, no drama. Havoline Pro DS 5 and 10w30 exclusively.

When I say no noises I mean it, this was the only filter I ever used on a Kia or Hyundai that was quieter than the OEM filter. I have had 3 Korean cars prior to getting my Lincoln, so I had a fair bit of experience with them. 1 Beta 2.0 CVVT and two 2.4 Thetas, one GDI one not.

Back