Fram Ultra vs Extra Engine Air Filter

I just bought a Fram Ultra air filter for my Sonata at Walmart. It fit great and this filter wasn't oiled at all. I'm glad Walmart finally carries an air filter for my Hyundai.

Originally Posted by littleant
The Ultra air filter I bought for my 2010Mountaineer at Wal-Mart said made in the USA. Also the filter was oiled.

Does it say Fram Ultra on it, or the box?

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Originally Posted by littleant
The Ultra air filter I bought for my 2010Mountaineer at Wal-Mart said made in the USA. Also the filter was oiled.

Does it say Fram Ultra on it, or the box?

Yes it did. Element was lite yellow in color and was oiled. This was about 6-7 months ago. Filter had a perfect fit. And was marked made in the USA.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*I never see the Fram Ultra or Extra air filters for my 2017 Sonata ?

You're running the same 2.4L I am.
[Linked Image from pictr.com]

I bought an Extra Guard from Amazon Canada (shipped and sold by) for $11 CAD. It was the same model as the OP. Was very pleased with the quality, nice thick media, very strong frame, and MADE IN USA.

No verified pictures of an oiled Ultra yet shown with XGA on it. People say and think it but I don't think they are going out and verifying XGA on the filter itself. They may have gotten a TGA in an Ultra box, thanks to Walmart Shoppers. On my Toyota pickup they have had a heavy duty option for a long time and it looks a lot like the yellower Ultra compared to the EG white. Otherwise, no Ultra air filters made for my cars yet.

There is no metion of the Fram Ultra air filter being "oiled", either on Fram's website or on the filter box - so don't know where that rumor got started. The box says it's "premium grade synthetic media". The one in my hand right now (XGA9683) does not feel or smell oily at all.

There is no metion of the Fram Ultra air filter being "oiled", either on Fram's website or on the filter box - so don't know where that rumor got started. The box says it's "premium grade synthetic media". The one in my hand right now (XGA9683) does not feel or smell oily at all.
It won't feel oiled, the media is very lightly oiled, the Tough Gaurd marketing says that their pre-oiled, the Ultra marketing doesn't but many of the Ultra air filters appear to be the same as the Tough Gaurds just the Ultra brand is used at Walmart, at very least they appear to use the same type of yellow colored media.

It won't feel oiled, the media is very lightly oiled, the Tough Gaurd marketing says that their pre-oiled, the Ultra marketing doesn't but many of the Ultra air filters appear to be the same as the Tough Gaurds just the Ultra brand is used at Walmart, at very least they appear to use the same type of yellow colored media.

There's got to be a difference between the TG and Ultra air filters. Fram isn't going to market the same exact air filter under two different names and packaging.

The XGA9683 has that p/n stamped on the body of the filter, and it says "Made in Korea". Next time I can look, I'll see if the TG9683 is also made in Korea. If not, then that would point to them not being the same filters.

Maybe I'll do an on-line chat with Fram and get some details.

Maybe I'll do an on-line chat with Fram and get some details.

I had an email exchange with Fram Tech Support about the differences between the TG and Ultra air filters. Here's their response:

"The Tough Guard engine air filter is 99% efficient and is rated for 24 months 24,000 miles. This filter has more synthetic media over the extra guard, which gives it a higher micron rating and more dirt holding capacity. The Ultra air engine air filter is a 48 month/ 40,000 miles 99% efficient. The micron rating is the same between the 2 filters. The Ultra air has more synthetic media than the Tough Guard which allows it to hold more dirt over time and allows for the 48 months/ 40,000 miles change intervals versus the Tough Guard's 24 month/ 24,000 mile change interval. Neither filter is oiled, they are both dry. Some people think that the filter is oiled due to the old design being yellow on the TG but this is not the case. Also the Ultra air filters were designed for Walmart exclusively."

Fram's own website says the Tough Gaurd are oiled
View attachment 25547

I saw that too, but could be old info on their website. I asked specifically if the TG was oiled. Brandon, the Fram Tech guy said they are both dry media, so maybe something has changed there. Guess I'll email him back and ask why Fram's website says the TG is oiled.

Update from Fram regarding them showing the TG air filters on their website as being pre-oiled media.

"Some models have been converted to a synthetic media which may or may not be yellow, some may be white. In the changes that have been made, the Tough Guard performance has been maintained. Our website is in the process of being updated to reflect this information."

So it sounds like based on the statement above, and what Fram said in post #14, that at one time the TG air filters were oiled but Fram is going to a different non-oiled media on the TGs.

One of our 2 Walmarts had the Ultra. A 11259 is listed for the Mazda3.
The Extra at the first Wally and the Ultra at the other were the same price.
The old paper look-up catalogs in both stores had nothing in the air filter's "Ultra" column.
There's a simplicity to the Ultra box I bought. Gone is the "XGA" preceding the filter number.
The word "Mazda" is in a gold bar above the 11259. The hard plastic surround must fit Mazda air intakes only.

It fit perfectly. The Mazda original had "top side" and "left" and "right" cast in small letters into the frame.
The original had 24 pleats and the Ultra had 25. No COO on the original. The Ultra came from China.
The Ultra had a gasket loosely applied its perimeter frame which had to kept in place during installation. The original was one, solid piece.

Last edited:
Back