Fram Extra Guard Air Filter OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got around to changing my air filter in my new 1993 Mazda RX-7 for the first time. Did not know it was going to take 1 hour of removing over 7 hoses with clamps from the factory airbox! I did not have time to go to the dealership and order a OEM filter and the only filter locally available for my 93 was a Fram Extra Guard. In fact it had been in inventory so long at the parts store the box referred to it by its old name: "Fram Extra Life". I would have liked to get a Mazda filter but would have had to put back all the pipes to the airbox and get the Mazda one ordered up which would have taken a few days. So I just went with the Fram. I don't know much about Fram filters. Are they good filters?

Last edited:
In the case of my Accord air filter, the Fram and the Purolater were exactly the same except for the printed name on it Both made in China The Fram was less expensive at Wally so I went with that. I think Fram Air Filters are fine

Goose

Originally Posted By: soundwavefd
I don't know much about Fram filters. Are they good filters?

+4 They are in all of my vehicles. I buy them on Amazon and get free shipping. 3 of my 4 cars take the same air filter so it is simple. Also, try Rock Auto for filters.
01.gif

One thing I forgot to ask, my application is for a unmodified 93 RX7 Twin Turbo. It is a performance car. I do not want to go K&N or any aftermarket upgraded filter though. So is the Fram Extra Guard still ok for a performance vehicle.

Unless you have a turbo diesel.....in which case they will fold up and suck into the intake. with the possibility of a ruined engine. Still not as bad as the K&N oil soaked [censored].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back