Fram Ultra or Extra Guard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Fram Extra Guard air filter seems to be highly recommended, but I see almost no mention of the Ultra on a Google search. Is this because it's only available at Wal Mart, or is the Ultra a substandard air filter? The Extra Guard seems to be better than Motorcraft.

Not sure if this is a troll post or not. If I google Fram Ultra I get 7,290,000 search results and the first link to Fram.com shows the three main lines of filters with plenty of info.

Tough Guard is typically good for up to 10,000 miles and Ultra is typically good for up to 20,000 miles.

The Ultra is the superior product.

Not a troll post, I assure you. I did a search for 'best auto air filter' and saw the Fram Extra Guard at or near the top of several lists, but saw very little mention of the Ultra.

He said air filters not oil. I can only say ive seen ultra "oil filters" not air filters. Only air filters Ive seen are the extra guard air filter.

Here are a couple of Tough Guards. They're lightly oiled.

967CBB2C-17E1-4CE5-839B-6A153CB8C0CF.jpeg

63B5FB37-6DF8-420E-B9A6-88C69AFD1B73.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vigilant
Not a troll post, I assure you. I did a search for 'best auto air filter' and saw the Fram Extra Guard at or near the top of several lists, but saw very little mention of the Ultra.
How did that prove Extra Guard is better?

Originally Posted by ZZman
Fram Filters use the terms:

Extra Guard=good
Tough Guard=better
Ultra=Best

That pretty much nails it.

The EG air filters seem pretty good, I actually like the orange seals on them, they do a nice job of conforming to airbox irregularities. The Ultra air filters seem kind of rare (in stores), I'm not sure I've ever seen a TG air filter? I'm not sure that spending more money on anything better than the CA series is worth it.

The Ultra air filters seem to be the same as the TG air filters sold elsewhere. Perhaps it's a rebranding specifically for Walmart so that other stores don't have to price match.

Same yellow media and everything. I know that the Ultra XGA4309 is the exact same as the TGA4309, for example.

I use the Ultra/TG air filter in any car they make them for
smile.gif

Both the Extra and Tough Guard air filters, parts CA8755A and TGA8755A respectively, do well in my Silverado truck. Use with confidence.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The Ultra air filters seem to be the same as the TG air filters sold elsewhere. Perhaps it's a rebranding specifically for Walmart so that other stores don't have to price match.

Same yellow media and everything. I know that the Ultra XGA4309 is the exact same as the TGA4309, for example.

smile.gif

Did the TG and XG air filters have the same country of manufacturing? The XG Ultra air filter for my Tacoma was made in Korea.

I don't see why they would call the same exact filter two different products. Probably commerce laws against doing something like that. The media and efficiency are probably different between the TG and XG.

Fram says the XG is rated for more miles, so must be able to hold more debris before the pressure drop requires filter changing.

It is puzzeling why Fram only sells the Ultra air filter through Walmart.

In the case of my 2017 Sienna, the Fram air filter is more expensive than the Toyota OE brand.
So, which one would we choose? Tough choice?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

smile.gif

Did the TG and XG air filters have the same country of manufacturing? The XG Ultra air filter for my Tacoma was made in Korea.

I don't see why they would call the same exact filter two different products. Probably commerce laws against doing something like that. The media and efficiency are probably different between the TG and XG.

Fram says the XG is rated for more miles, so must be able to hold more debris before the pressure drop requires filter changing.

It is puzzeling why Fram only sells the Ultra air filter through Walmart.

Yes, both made in Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back