2 Engine AF’s - Time To Change? 19K / 26K Miles

Hmm, the whole point of this thread?

The old FRAM was fine. If the WIX doesn’t fit then there’s more to this for some reason and I’ll go back to OE. I don't have enough data to say OE is better than aftermarket at this time.

When in doubt change them out.
No!
To the contrary, changing air filters too often can lead to excessive wear; air filters pass about 90% of the total contamination they will pass in their entire lifecycle, in the first 10% of their use. If the air filter isn't grossly restricting performance, leave it alone. Unless you live in an area where heavy air contamination is frequently present (farming areas with high dust; construction areas with high dust), an air filter should last 100k miles or longer.

This article is the basis of my info:

The Wix just came in and it’s…almost exactly the same dimensions as the Fram that doesn’t fit. In fact it’s just a smidge smaller in one dimension. The gasket on the Wix was more evenly glued on, at least…

Theyre so close that it makes me feel like I’m kookoo crazy pants over here. Maybe I should check a THIRD time!

Nope! I‘m just gonna to go with OE...
IMG_5099.jpeg
IMG_5098.jpeg

No!
To the contrary, changing air filters too often can lead to excessive wear; air filters pass about 90% of the total contamination they will pass in their entire lifecycle, in the first 10% of their use. If the air filter isn't grossly restricting performance, leave it alone. Unless you live in an area where heavy air contamination is frequently present (farming areas with high dust; construction areas with high dust), an air filter should last 100k miles or longer.

This article is the basis of my info:

The current filter is way worse than looking at it through the air box led me to believe. It‘s time.

I ordered 2 OE (Denso) from a Subaru parts store and they fit perfectly.

The attached shows the new Subaru OE filter being significant larger (pic #1 and 2). The Forester XT and Legacy filters are very close in size, but the Forester filter has many more pleats and is orange (pic #3)

The other attached show the old Forester XT (pic #4). The single is the old Forester XT. The one with the old and new is the Legacy (pic #5)
IMG_5119.jpeg
IMG_5118.jpeg
IMG_5120.jpeg
IMG_5121.jpeg
IMG_5122.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to check this out. I just removed a the same Fram Ultra for my 18 Legacy and reinstalled the same but new. The only issue I noticed is that the notch on the right side near the top wasn't as flush as I thought it should be. I'll try and take a pick. I didn't notice that it was too small though. I bought mine last year. Actually bought 2. I'll have to try and find an OE filter to see.

I'm gonna have to check this out. I just removed a the same Fram Ultra for my 18 Legacy and reinstalled the same but new. The only issue I noticed is that the notch on the right side near the top wasn't as flush as I thought it should be. I'll try and take a pick. I didn't notice that it was too small though. I bought mine last year. Actually bought 2. I'll have to try and find an OE filter to see.

subaruonlineparts is great. I’d check sooner than later. Let us know please.

When in doubt change them out.

This is NOT good advice

IF you see a lot of WOT (wide open throttle) operation, then keep your air filter changed often.

If you pretty much never mash the far right pedal all the way to the floor, your air filter lasts far, far , far longer than you think it does.

I use a very very thin film of silicone when I install my filters.

I don't take the chance...... filter "fitment" across most brands has been VERY VERY shoddy the last few years....

Caulk or grease?

I apologize if you posted this earlier and I’m just brain farting

Caulk or grease?

I apologize if you posted this earlier and I’m just brain farting

1) I have tried wheel bearing grease in the past - not good results
2) silicone grease is expensive and not necessarily easy to find anywhere - but it might work fine
3) I used clear silicone sealer - very very very thin film - on the "clean side" of the filter foam & box only

1) I have tried wheel bearing grease in the past - not good results
2) silicone grease is expensive and not necessarily easy to find anywhere - but it might work fine
3) I used clear silicone sealer - very very very thin film - on the "clean side" of the filter foam & box only

Interesting, thanks for the reply

subaruonlineparts is great. I’d check sooner than later. Let us know please.
Here are some pics. While the Fram is smaller it isn't a huge difference. I'm guessing maybe 1/8 of an inch or less. With the screen behind the air filter, I'm not sure there is going to be much difference to be honest. But, I am not running a UOA so I can't speak for Si numbers.

Attachments

• 20230624_141557.jpg
    20230624_141557.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230624_141521.jpg
    20230624_141521.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230624_141525.jpg
    20230624_141525.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230624_141530.jpg
    20230624_141530.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230624_141642.jpg
    20230624_141642.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 4
I ordered 2 OE (Denso) from a Subaru parts store and they fit perfectly.

The attached shows the new Subaru OE filter being significant larger (pic #1 and 2). The Forester XT and Legacy filters are very close in size, but the Forester filter has many more pleats and is orange (pic #3)

The other attached show the old Forester XT (pic #4). The single is the old Forester XT. The one with the old and new is the Legacy (pic #5)
I just found this thread, this is crazy! Why even bother making a filter for the application when it doesn't even fit?! No logic there at all! This reminds me of the other posting where someone was trying to install an aftermarket tie-rod end but the castle nut wouldn't even fit.

Just another sign that the aftermarket is in trouble! Just crazy, thanks for posting this.

Sounds like a perfect time for a induction kit from Injen or AEM with their dryflow filters. I guess you could put pantyhose over where the air flows in to try and prevent some dirt from going in. Air filters that filter are better than any oil filter.

Back