Fram Ultra ripping us off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cut open an XG10575 today. 2 layers, a very thin, soft, almost like felt-like cellulose or maybe even cotton outer layer with a paper back layer. No 2-layer fiberglass. No wire backing.
I'm running an XG2 right now, and feel the need to cut one of those open to make sure.
I feel betrayed here. This is a conventional media.

20210917_104309.jpg
20210917_104311.jpg
20210917_104333.jpg

Fram Ultra ripping us off? Only you can decide. In real life an oil filters filtering ability will make little difference regardless of what papers you read in the engine life of a properly maintained passenger vehicle over its life. Pay attention to the million mile vehicle reports.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at this locked monster....

With the current mess that we're in, and have been in for over a year and a half now, I think we're going to see a lot of this moving forward. And folks had better start getting used to it.

Companies are going to start substitutung with whatever raw materials that they can source to manufacture their products, in an attempt to just be able to keep making products, and in turn be able to keep them on the shelves.

You can buy an Ultra that is manufactured like this, that may or may not meet your approval, and may or may not meet the advertised specifications... or you can move on to something else. There's your choices.

I'd rather get an oil filter, than get no oil filter.

That all said, I use $4 OEM oil filters for my cars and trucks. I'm never disappointed over the quality of a $10 filter.

Last edited:
With the current mess that we're in, and have been in for over a year and a half now, I think we're going to see a lot of this moving forward. And folks had better start getting used to it.

Companies are going to start substitutung with whatever raw materials that they can source to manufacture their products, in an attempt to just be able to keep making products, and in turn be able to keep them on the shelves.

You can buy an Ultra that is manufactured like this, that may or may not meet your approval, and may or may not meet the advertised specifications... or you can move on to something else. There's your choices.

I'd rather get an oil filter, than get no oil filter.

That all said, I use $4 OEM oil filters for my cars and trucks. I'm never disappointed over a $10 filter.
Well said...

What a great coincidence. My XG10575 just arrived via Amazon last night. Hope it's not a POS, because it's going on the Mustang on Saturday.

Not really anything you can count these days, from the look of things. Wix is getting cheesy with their materials as well, as indicated in another thread on this board. They used to be my go-to, now I only trust their air filters.

"Install and pray" is the sentiment for the future.

Cut open an XG10575 today. 2 layers, a very thin, soft, almost like felt-like cellulose or maybe even cotton outer layer with a paper back layer. No 2-layer fiberglass. No wire backing.
I'm running an XG2 right now, and feel the need to cut one of those open to make sure.
I feel betrayed here. This is a conventional media.

View attachment 71340View attachment 71341View attachment 71342
I’m curious as to how you were able to determine that the media is conventional and not synthetic?

I'm not so picky, I would be ok with a toilet paper filter like they used years ago. I have one of these Fram synthetic filters laying around for my next oil change and think it will be ok for a few thousand miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back