Fram Ultra - PentaStar V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a spring in the cap when you snap the filter in the cap push up from bottom of filter you will see it move up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mailman74
There is a spring in the cap when you snap the filter in the cap push up from bottom of filter you will see it move up.

I'm just not sure it has the same clearance it did as the older design of the filter though and I think that is why it squishes so much easier...

It still doesn't make sense to me why a cartridge costs more than a spin on. There's far less material and yet they're more money? I was noticing this today at Walmart, the cartridge Ultra's were anywhere from $13-18 a piece while the greater majority of the spin ons were in the $8, except those huge diesel filters.

Originally Posted by jongies3
It still doesn't make sense to me why a cartridge costs more than a spin on. There's far less material and yet they're more money? I was noticing this today at Walmart, the cartridge Ultra's were anywhere from $13-18 a piece while the greater majority of the spin ons were in the $8, except those huge diesel filters.

Cartridge filters probably cost more because they sell relatively less of them than spin-ons, so they charge a bit more to try and recover the total cost to produce them (ie, engineering, testing, manufacturing machines, etc). It's not just material costs involved, but total cost put in to produce the final product.

Originally Posted by jongies3
It still doesn't make sense to me why a cartridge costs more than a spin on. There's far less material and yet they're more money? ...
I agree. Maybe it's the novelty. I bet it was the other way around ~55-60 years ago when canister (spin-on) filters were new and cartridges were the old type.

Or maybe they inspect cartridges more rigorously, knowing the installer will see the condition of the pleats.

My Fram TG10358 cartridge is literally the smallest, lightest, simplest oil filter in Walmart, and made in China besides. They're about $9; the Ultra is $11. However the SuperTech version, which looks almost exactly like the older U.S.-made ExtraGuard, is only $3.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Someone on here used one and even posted pictures of the before and after. It still buckled, but it buckled much less than other Pentastar cartridges.

I would suggest the Wix XP WL10010XP or Napa Platinum 4100010 with the wire mesh. (The Fram Ultra for the Pentastar uses a plastic mesh)

I have been using Fram for my 3.6L pentastar in the T&C. 40k+ miles so far and I haven't seen even a hint of buckling. This is not normal.

Originally Posted by oldhp
I still find it funny that anybody would torque plastic. Look at the threads. When the cap bottoms out you are done. Zero need to "torque" the cap......

Yep. My ‘14 Grand Cherokee has a big ridge at the end of the threads. It just bottoms out. The o-ring does all the sealing. There's no way it's coming loose.

Originally Posted by jkasch
Originally Posted by oldhp
I still find it funny that anybody would torque plastic. Look at the threads. When the cap bottoms out you are done. Zero need to "torque" the cap......

Yep. My ‘14 Grand Cherokee has a big ridge at the end of the threads. It just bottoms out. The o-ring does all the sealing. There's no way it's coming loose.

The torque spec is there in an attempt to stop people from over tightening and damaging the cap.

Turn it till it stops. That's all you need.

The first time I changed oil and filter on the 2014 Jeep GC I thought the filter looked like a leak waiting to happen. After changing the filter the first time I decided I really like the ease of installation and the whole setup. The Jeep is the easiest vehicle I have to do an oil and filter change. It's amazing the Walmart super tech filters are only $3 and the others are $10 or more. I think I might just try the super tech until the price goes down a little on the Fram Ultra. I just am a little scared of running such an inexpensive filter on a fairly new vehicle but others have seemed to have excellent results.

I got my Fram Ultra's from Rock Auto yesterday and they are quite skinny from the traditional filter for these engines. I was surprised. There is going to be a lot of space around the outside of the filter in this housing. I guess the media really flows better than the traditional cellulose ones so less filter media area is required ?!? Where is Jay when you need to ask him?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
The first time I changed oil and filter on the 2014 Jeep GC I thought the filter looked like a leak waiting to happen. After changing the filter the first time I decided I really like the ease of installation and the whole setup. The Jeep is the easiest vehicle I have to do an oil and filter change. It's amazing the Walmart super tech filters are only $3 and the others are $10 or more. I think I might just try the super tech until the price goes down a little on the Fram Ultra. I just am a little scared of running such an inexpensive filter on a fairly new vehicle but others have seemed to have excellent results.

Yeah, I just wish that the air filter hose wasn't in the way. I can get to the cap without removing the air filter top cover but it's more of a pain in the GC's to do it not loosening this first. In a way it forces me to check the air filter condition with every filter change.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
I guess the media really flows better than the traditional cellulose ones so less filter media area is required ?!?

Pretty much ... most full synthetic filters have less pleats because they do flow better (depth filtering vs surface filtering), and also because if they are wire backed it's harder to make really tight pleats.

I guess I'm just to the Amsoil ones that are the same or fatter in size. Maybe because they are longer OCI rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back