Fram Ultra Inlet Holes

So I am not a FRAM guy, however I been considering running the FRAM Ultra. I decided to take a look at the filter at Walmart for previous QC issues I seen and both the Ultra and the Tough Guard were clean and I didn't see any visible issues.

But one thing I noticed on both of them was the inlet holes are much smaller compared to the factory oil filter PF47E so I was thinking well maybe it has more holes, nope it has the same amount.

So has anyone had issues with the FRAM Ultra XG3387A effecting oil pressure/flow?

My oil change is coming up next month and I am switching from QS All Mileage Synthetic Blend to QS Full Synthetic so I have until then to decide what filter I am actually going to run.

It's been shown that the total area of the base inlet holes is equal or greater than the engine filter mount inlet hole to the oiling system. Yes, it "looks bad" when compared to other filters, but it's not going to be a problem. Besides, the oil is being pushed/forced by the PD pump.

The lab ISO testing done by Andrew shows the Ultra had lower delta-p across the whole filter assembly than some of the others in the group of filters tested. Confirms the base plate holes are fine, trust science. :)

Hi Furious,
What is your OCI mileage?
Do you go multiple oil changes on one filter or do you put a new filter on at every change?
5,000 miles. 6-8 months. But I may go to 6,000 miles, 8 months when I switch to full synthetic.

As for the other persons reply on sticking with the PF47E, because I want superior filtration, PF47E is 98% at 30 Microns, and I have seen multiple instances of QC issues on the E Cores lately from double end caps, gaps between the glued filter media seam, etc. Oh and I don't light foot the truck either.

It's been shown that the total area of the base inlet holes is equal or greater than the engine filter mount inlet hole to the oiling system. Yes, it "looks bad" when compared to other filters, but it's not going to be a problem. Besides, the oil is being pushed/forced by the PD pump.

The lab ISO testing done by Andrew shows the Ultra had lower delta-p across the whole filter assembly than some of the others in the group of filters tested. Confirms the base plate holes are fine, trust science. :)
Could you link me to these tests? I am interested in looking it over.

If you read the million mile vehicle tests you will find most had their oil changed on a regular basis and used jobber grade filters. Your air filter is the most important filter preventing wear in a mechanically sound engine.

Could you link me to these tests? I am interested in looking it over.
Link to source:
This graph shows the delta-p across the filters as they load up. They are all getting the exact same flow rate and debris loading rate.

The Fram Ultra (with it's "tiny" base inlet holes) and the WIX XP have the lowest starting delta-p (Time=0, new non-loaded filter). So the "tiny" inlet holes are not a problem that causes added delta-p across the oil filter assembly.

capacity-compairson-graph-pic-1-jpg.59363

Nothing will have bigger holes than a plastic cage ecore :D

I don't think it will be a problem at all. Filters for your car don't even have a bypass valve, since they have a bypass in the block. And remember, there are other ecores that cost less than the ACDelco.

A bigger concern is Purolator's louvers that aren't always formed completely

Link to source:
This graph shows the delta-p across the filters as they load up. They are all getting the exact same flow rate and debris loading rate.

The Fram Ultra (with it's "tiny" base inlet holes) and the WIX XP have the lowest starting delta-p (Time=0, new non-loaded filter). So the "tiny" inlet holes are not a problem that causes added delta-p across the oil filter assembly.

capacity-compairson-graph-pic-1-jpg.59363
So if I am understanding this graph correctly, FRAM and WIX have a little better flow compared to the others, although WIX isn't an option for me because it has even worse filtration compared to the PF47E from what I have seen.

If you read the million mile vehicle tests you will find most had their oil changed on a regular basis and used jobber grade filters. Your air filter is the most important filter preventing wear in a mechanically sound engine.
Those million mile vehicles mostly aren't run in hilly environments in Appalachia, stop and go traffic but instead mostly highway miles of which less wear occurs.

Air filters are important, oil filters are important, fuel filters are important. Just because one thing is more important doesn't necessarily mean you should cheap out on the other components.

So if I am understanding this graph correctly, FRAM and WIX have a little better flow compared to the others, although WIX isn't an option for me because it has even worse filtration compared to the PF47E from what I have seen.
Yes ... the lower the delta-p, the better the filter "flows". It doesn't mean it flow more oil when on an engine ... it only means there is less pressure drop (delta-p) across the oil filter. The total delat-p across the whole filter depends mostly on the flow resistance of the media itself. There is nothing to worry about with respect to "small holes in the base plate" on the Ultra, as the the delta-p graph shows.

I suggest the AC Delco Gold UPF47R, better filtering, thicker can, better construction. Available from Walmar, Rockauto, Amazon & GM dealers.

Back