Fram Ultra for Pentastar 3.6L available yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I am just wondering if anyone who has the Pentastar 3.6L in their vehicle have come across the Fram Ultra that is supposed to be released anytime now? The website does not show a part number yet. I just bought a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan a couple weeks back...very impressed with the gen 5 vans.

If it doesn't show up on their website (application look-up), then it's probably not for sale yet to consumers.

The only above-base-model filter I've found for my Gen-1 Pentastar is a PureOne. Very nice filter, but I really would prefer a wire-backed synthetic like a PSL or Ultra. I've posted pictures of the P1 cartridge here before....

Before:

IMG_2056_zpsce96b3d1.jpg

After:

E34CEAB2-7591-4194-A318-CB3CD9C19B42_zpsueqmovdn.jpg

Not going to be different grades of filter, it's a cartridge...

My Dad's Cruze uses a cartridge too, the Purolator feels fuzzier, but that's just my fingers talking...

Last edited:
Fram does make the Ultra in a cartridge filter, but limited in the cartridge filter applications. OP is looking for the Ultra.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
The only above-base-model filter I've found for my Gen-1 Pentastar is a PureOne. Very nice filter, but I really would prefer a wire-backed synthetic like a PSL or Ultra. I've posted pictures of the P1 cartridge here before....

Before:

IMG_2056_zpsce96b3d1.jpg

After:

E34CEAB2-7591-4194-A318-CB3CD9C19B42_zpsueqmovdn.jpg

I've seen your P1 posts. At this point, I will not touch anything Tear-O-lator with a ten foot pole.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Fram does make the Ultra in a cartridge filter, but limited in the cartridge filter applications. OP is looking for the Ultra.

Z, I read before that MK said the Ultra should be out around this month (it was a post from 6 months ago and he stated that it was coming out around 6 months). Really hoping this drops sooner than later since I will be changing for the winter. If all else fails the good ol MO-744 will suffice.

Originally Posted By: AKA.

I've seen your P1 posts. At this point, I will not touch anything Tear-O-lator with a ten foot pole.

Suit yourself, but that's silly. Different manufacturing process entirely, plus you can inspect before you install.

Suit yourself, but that's silly. Different manufacturing process entirely, plus you can inspect before you install.

I get it.

Back on topic...I wonder if MK can chime in about the status of the release!?

Originally Posted By: AKA

I get it.

Back on topic...I wonder if MK can chime in about the status of the release!?

I'm interested in that as well. I'm unimpressed with the standard type filter cartridges (Mopar, Wix, etc.) for that engine. The P1 is definitely a step up in media surface area and efficiency, its not a big step and the price jump is not trivial.

Fram doesn't even show a listing for an Ultra yet in that part number, at least not that I can find. Purolator shows a PSL (their wire-backed synthetic filter series) part number, but every retailer that shows the part number lists it as "currently unavailable" and has for at least 8 months now. Since that particular cartridge was only used from 2011 to 2013 on Pentastars, I doubt we'll be seeing many new filter lines come out for it- better things will probably come out in the 2nd generation Pentastar cartridge design. We may be stuck with what we've got.

Hey guys,

I am just wondering if anyone who has the Pentastar 3.6L in their vehicle have come across the Fram Ultra that is supposed to be released anytime now? The website does not show a part number yet. I just bought a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan a couple weeks back...very impressed with the gen 5 vans.

Hello,
Motorking here. I have asked the new model release engineer for an update on this part number, will get back to after the weekend ok?

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Hello,
Motorking here. I have asked the new model release engineer for an update on this part number, will get back to after the weekend ok?

Awesome, thank you Jay!

Hey guys,

Hello,

Please also ask about an Ultra filter for the 2014+ 3.6 engines. These have an anti-drain back valve. Thanks!

Jay, any update yet?

At this point things are not looking good. The filter is patented and cannot be duplicated as designed. In many cases like this we buy the OE filter and put it in our box. Then we have to do one of two things to offer an Ultra model-
1. design around the patent (not the best choice)
2. Get the patent holder to license us or make the filter with our media. (best choice)
We have not made any progress on either so far. We are working very hard on it and not giving up as this is a very popular application.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Not going to be different grades of filter, it's a cartridge...

My Dad's Cruze uses a cartridge too, the Purolator feels fuzzier, but that's just my fingers talking...

We make an Ultra filter for the Cruze

Originally Posted By: Srt20
Hey guys,

Hello,

Please also ask about an Ultra filter for the 2014+ 3.6 engines. These have an anti-drain back valve. Thanks!

Same thing here, we are currently buying the OE filter and putting into our box. The design is patented and that presents difficulties in offering filtration options I outlined in another post. We are struggling with companies that allow the filter design to be patented as it severely restricts the aftermarket offerings.

Thanks for the information. Unfortunate, but that's business I guess.

Is it reasonable to assume that, except for the PureOne which is obviously different, the "standard" filters currently on the market are re-branded Mopar filters?

I understand if that might be a little out of your comfort level to answer that officially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back