Fram Ultra Ability To Remove Soot ?

Correct, Fram filters and I believe Champ filters were redesigned several years back to withstand the burst pressure issue in Hyundai/Kia engines. The 9688 filter is the one Fram wants you to use in Hyundai/Kia engines. Service Champ has a couple other alternate filters that are also suitable for Hyundai/Kia engines.

*Thanks ... However , I never heard of the two oil filter lines mentioned in the Fram bulletin ?

I had two gm vehicles known for cam chain failures.

A 2006 4 cylinder ecotec which ran to 231,000 miles until an accident took it off the road. I found some information indicating which months of production had bad cam chains and which did not. Mine had a good chain. I used cheap store brand oil, sometimes synthetic, sometimes not. Oil changes averaging 8,000 miles in mixed driving conditions and sometimes I skipped the filter change.

A 2008 Cadillac with a gm 3.6 GDI engine. The cam chain was replaced at 30,000 miles under warranty. This was obviously a bad chain. The second chain ran trouble free to 255,000 miles until rust to the car off the road. Store brand oil, mostly synthetic, oil changes every 5 to 7,000 miles and filter change every time.

Both of these cars were run many miles before Dexos or SP oils existed and were treated a little worse than the average car in my opinion. No special oils, filters or frequent oil change intervals. I believe, cam chain stretch/failure is the result of poorly made chains/sprockets/guides and going overboard on oil and filter maintenance is not going to improve the situation. I currently have a Hyundai GDI engine that receives no special care at over 100,000 miles. If it fails, I doubt it will be due to oil or filter type. Hyundai has made many engines, some not so good.

*Thanks ... However , I never heard of the two oil filter lines mentioned in the Fram bulletin ?
I believe those other filters are only available to the service industry so that is why you maybe haven’t seen them before. Someone else who might be more knowledgeable on that subject can probably answer it better.

But I believe a lot of the Champ and Fram filters were consolidated years ago so that is why there are different part numbers for essentially the same filter.

Back