Fram Ultra 7317 Cut @ 16k

Fram Ultra 7317. Had a little over 16k miles. Two oil changes @ 10k and 16k with supertech 5/30 and RGT 5/30.

Note the adbv cuts. Everything else looked good. The cuts did not go all the way through.

20210731_233005.jpg
20210731_232428.jpg
20210731_232416.jpg
20210731_232510.jpg
20210731_232608.jpg
20210731_232755.jpg
20210731_233048.jpg

The ADBV cuts look to on the base plate side. Was there any sharp edges or burrs on the base plate?

Looks like a little more baseplate deburring would be a good idea! What vehicle was it used on, & mileage?
The worst part of a Fram "visually" ; the Iffy stamping quality on their baseplates and likely no tumbling/deburring.

But on a 57 cent component you cant expect much. Lot of pressure to control costs in manufacturing.

Filter media looks like every other Fram Ultra... Perfect.
We didnt see enough if it. Require a wash-down with clean solvent and close inspection, especially around the glue line at the end caps. I've had a couple costly filters tear there, after months of hard winter commutes

Oh, and DEBEAU, thank you for your effort and photos!

Last edited:
We didnt see enough if it. Require a wash-down with clean solvent and close inspection, especially around the glue line at the end caps. I've had a couple costly filters tear there, after months of hard winter commutes

I've yet to see ANY wire backing synthetic filter tear

Relax...

Seriously.

That filter media is in very, very good shape. Perfectly fine.

Now if this was another filter.... I'd want more pics.

The ADBV cuts look to on the base plate side. Was there any sharp edges or burrs on the base plate?
Yes, base plate side. Some burrs yes, tried to capture them in last couple photos.
Looks like a little more baseplate deburring would be a good idea! What vehicle was it used on, & mileage?
'08 Civic, 200k miles on motor
Nice photos and filter. May I ask what went back in and on? Thank You 👍🇺🇸🍺
Replaced with TG 7317 and 4 quarts of Chevron Supreme 5/30 blend

Yes, base plate side. Some burrs yes, tried to capture them in last couple photos.
Think this is the first time any ADBV cuts have been seen/reported on a Fram that I can recall. Most likely a manufacturing fluke but something to keep an eye out for.

Relax...

Seriously.

That filter media is in very, very good shape. Perfectly fine.

Now if this was another filter.... I'd want more pics.
Relax? Show descriptive photos and text - other wise you might as well post,

"I cut open a filter and it looked good".

Being a "fan" of a particular part does not give it a PASS.
Just trying to keep some science and proper methodology on these pages.
The rest of the nation is already in the toilet, ready to be flushed.

And, Yes, daman, I would not expect a screen backed media to tear - IF the screen is embedded in the
adhesive around the perimeter. but 40-70 PSI on a cold start on a viscous fluid that can not permeate WILL
move things - screen or not.

p.s.: look at the oil and filter currently in my wife's subaru in my sig line; but even that combo wont save that engine, I fear.

Relax? Show descriptive photos and text - other wise you might as well post,

"I cut open a filter and it looked good".

Being a "fan" of a particular part does not give it a PASS.
Just trying to keep some science and proper methodology on these pages.
The rest of the nation is already in the toilet, ready to be flushed.

And, Yes, daman, I would not expect a screen backed media to tear - IF the screen is embedded in the
adhesive around the perimeter. but 40-70 PSI on a cold start on a viscous fluid that can not permeate WILL
move things - screen or not.

p.s.: look at the oil and filter currently in my wife's subaru in my sig line; but even that combo wont save that engine, I fear.
:rolleyes: Science and methodology? Come on. OP posted photos. Is he supposed to take a photo of each individual pleat in 4KHD so you can digitally enhance them while looking for tears?

Heck, he even pointed out potential failure points on the ADBV. It’s probably fair to say OP gave the filter media at least a cursory inspection.

I’ve cut open two or more Ultras and the stainless steel screen is super strong. That they can put that costly extra in there for the $8-9 is pretty amazing.

Thanks for the C&P. I use these on 5 cars; 3 TSX, Accord, Altima. There are probably 5 or 6 Utlra 7317s in our garage right now.
They have pretty much replaced M1s. I run them for 2 or 3 services. Minimum of 10K; some over 20K.
Perfect match for the MityVac.

Back