FRAM Ultra 6607 or 7317?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just use what the manufactures recommends. I do that because I know that the filter meets ALL important parameters and I sleep well. I don't need to inquire if this one or that one works. Ed

You might think differently if.... A Wix 51358 cost over $13... And a Wix 57356 cost $8.99... Same bypass psi, same thread, and sane gasket size. That is a big difference in price. And worth changing over to..

Last edited:
I see the 3593a/9688 application size being mentioned as an alternative choice on the 2.5L engine. Having done an oil and filter change on a 17 Rogue 2.5L not long ago, I don't believe they will work/mount.

Nissan added what I'll call a block restriction ring around the oil filter mounting area. That ring prevents anything wider than spec size, larger diameter filter from being mounted. Looking at 2015 Altima 2.5L YouTube videos show the ring also present. The 7317 application now the widest application that will fit.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
If the 7317 fits there's no real good reason not to use one.

Thats a good question.. Just like the HAMP oil filters for honda.. The one looks like a 7317 and then there is what some people call a shortie.. and HAMP says you get extra 5 PSI oil pressure and it helping with vtech

So if you look below the one looks like the 7317 and the other looks like the smaller filter.\
I have noticed that before when I was looking at FRAM Ultra Filters how the 7317 and the 6607 how they were the same as far as the baseplate goes and threads.

f0usgg.jpg

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
I see the 3593a/9688 application size being mentioned as an alternative choice on the 2.5L engine. Having done an oil and filter change on a 17 Rogue 2.5L not long ago, I don't believe they will work/mount.

Nissan added what I'll call a block restriction ring around the oil filter mounting area. That ring prevents anything wider than spec size, larger diameter filter from being mounted. Looking at 2015 Altima 2.5L YouTube videos show the ring also present. The 7317 application now the widest application that will fit.

Yeah, it will depend on vehicle specifics. The thread, gasket size and bypass are all pretty much interchangeable, but length is not the only size factor.
For my applications (my bike and sisters Hyundai), a 6607/7317/3593a/9688 all fit.
I also have found that the TG/XG 3593a cost less ($6.64/$8.97) than a TG/XG 9688 ($8.97/$9.63) at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Hiryuu
XG7317 will be fine, I also run one on my G37 Coupe - works perfectly, just need to add just a tad more oil to account for the extra filtering media. Cheers

I just put a 7317 on my G35 (w/ VQ35HR engine) and had a 5-quart bottle of EDGE 0W-40. Infiniti says 5-1/8 quarts of oil w/ a filter change. So with using a "larger" filter and only 5 quarts of oil, the level on the dipstick was dead on at the 'top' mark....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back