Fram Toughguard Failure (well, almost..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? FRAM would stand behind the product 100%, that is what would happen. You really just will not pass up a chance to bash FRAM will you? It is blatently obvious that this filter is a minimum of more than 5 yrs old. I am being generous when I say that as it may have been new old stock. The graphics on the can have not been used since 2006.

Originally Posted By: thomasew
I wouldn't be blaming the TG for this one, the oil looks like molasses.

You actually believe the oil not being changed for a long period of time caused this filter to puke its ADBV?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

You actually believe the oil not being changed for a long period of time caused this filter to puke its ADBV?

I think it's possible because if the filter was very clogged up, even though the by-pass valve was working, there could have still been enough delta-p across the filter to cause the center part of the ADBV to puke out the center hole. Could also be that the leaf spring in the filter wasn't holding all the guts together very well, which could cause the ADBV to be pushed out like shown in the photo due to delta-p.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I think it's possible because if the filter was very clogged up, even though the by-pass valve was working, there could have still been enough delta-p across the filter to cause the center part of the ADBV to puke out the center hole. Could also be that the leaf spring in the filter wasn't holding all the guts together very well, which could cause the ADBV to be pushed out like shown in the photo due to delta-p.

I would believe this as the cause before I would suspect the OCI.
Again, I ask the Q?, what would you contribute to the same failure had it been a 2014 TG filter with only 3K miles on it?

Again, I ask the Q?, what would you contribute to the same failure had it been a 2014 TG filter with only 3K miles on it?

This filter was probably left on a LONG time ... therefore, possible failure modes become multiple.

If the same ADBV puke out failure occurred on a filter with 3K miles on it, then it would most likely be from the guts not being held tight together.

But if the filter has 20K on it while being on a dirty motor, and it basically clogged all the way up so most flow was going through the by-pass valve, then there is continuously more delta-p across the media, which stresses everything out to a higher degree, which opens up more possibilities for a failure.

This filter was probably left on a LONG time ... therefore, possible failure modes become multiple.

If the same ADBV puke out failure occurred on a filter with 3K miles on it, then it would most likely be from the guts not being held tight together.

But if the filter has 20K on it while being on a dirty motor, and it basically clogged all the way up so most flow was going through the by-pass valve, then there is continuously more delta-p across the media, which stresses everything out to a higher degree, which opens up more possibilities for a failure.

I like how the members here use the termonology, "delta-p."
grin.gif

In my former line of work we call it "differential pressure."
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/news...ion_9_22_10.pdf

grin.gif

"differential pressure"

The rocket science behind it all
grin.gif
:

delta means "differential"
p means "pressure"
Therefore,
delta-p means "differential pressure"

grin.gif

"differential pressure"

The rocket science behind it all
grin.gif
:

delta means "differential"
p means "pressure"
Therefore,
delta-p means "differential pressure"

Yes, I know this. But, when members here say "delta-p" instead of "differential pressure" it sounds as if you ARE a Rocket Scientist.
I have other ways of describing it, but............
grin.gif

Yes, I know this. But, when members here say "delta-p" instead of "differential pressure" it sounds as if you ARE a Rocket Scientist.
grin.gif

What about the guys who use 'PSID' instead of 'delta-p' or 'differential pressure'. They must be rocket scientists on steroids.
lol.gif

grin.gif

What about the guys who use 'PSID' instead of 'delta-p' or 'differential pressure'. They must be rocket scientists on steroids.
lol.gif

No, those are the members that I would categorize as "Over educated DIY oil guru's ."
27.gif
crackmeup2.gif

How are we sure that the TG oil filter has been the car of a long time? This filter may have been on the store shelf for a while before being bought and installed. Also, we are not certain of the miles used on the filter. For all we know, it may still be under it rated mileage for this filter. I agree with OP that this "shouldn't have happened" on an oil filter. Most replies I read was "Meh, it happens" for a ABDV ripping but when a filter's media is torn, it the end of the world.

Originally Posted By: MNL
How are we sure that the TG oil filter has been the car of a long time? This filter may have been on the store shelf for a while before being bought and installed. Also, we are not certain of the miles used on the filter. For all we know, it may still be under it rated mileage for this filter. I agree with OP that this "shouldn't have happened" on an oil filter. Most replies I read was "Meh, it happens" for a ABDV ripping but when a filter's media is torn, it the end of the world.

+1
35.gif

grin.gif

lol.gif

No, those are the members that I would categorize as "Over educated DIY oil guru's ."
27.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Oh, this is so rich. It is hard to swallow all this, coming from members of the BITOG society with our own special set of acronyms. And any time you old-timers start to think that us newbies might be catching on, y'all throw in a few new ones, just to keep us confused.

Don't you think that, since your situation is entirely hypothetical, all you are doing is trying to be argumentative? Are you a lawyer by profession? Just asking.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Don't you think that, since your situation is entirely hypothetical, all you are doing is trying to be argumentative? Are you a lawyer by profession? Just asking.

Yes.

Yes.

Guilty ... "get a rope".
lol.gif

Yes.

Guilty ... "get a rope".
lol.gif

The only time a want to "get a rope" is when I hear country music.
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back