Fram Tough Guard vs PurolatorPure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just one data point, but here goes. On my daughter's Toyota with the 3S-FE engine, which takes a small oil filter on the side of the block, the filter operates almost upside-down, I have been using the Tough-Guard. When I restart the engine after it's good and hot and has been sitting about 15 minutes, the oil light would stay on several seconds. When I would change the oil, the tough-guard would be empty of oil after a good long drain period.

I just put a Pure-1 on based on what I have read here,
grin.gif
and so far the oil light goes out quicker on a hot start than previously.

I'll try to remember to post when I change this load of oil, and remark if the Pure-1 is full of oil when I take it off...I am expecting it will be, but I'll report what I see..
patriot.gif

Excuse me for replying to my own post, but I forgot to say that this is a very small filter, smaller than most car filters anyway. The Pure-1 filter case is noticably bigger than the Tough Guard, that does not mean that the filter element is bigger, but that would be the way to guess.

The Pure-1 looks more like a quality part to me, feels better, maybe smells better...

I would stay with the Purolator PureOne. I convinced most of the guys at work to stay away from the Orange Can of Doom after the saw the construction of them and the internet studies.

lol.gif
I guess i am a die hard BITOG member after all as i find myself smelling oil filters and admiring my oil stash
cheers.gif
i never used to do that before BITOG! Anyway go with the pure one oil filter it is much better than the fram tough guard.

This has been my experience too. Cars with upside down(or close to it) filters really need a good ADBV. Fram's just doesn't cut it. BTW doesn't the tough guard have a silicone ADBV just like the $10 filter?

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
This has been my experience too. Cars with upside down(or close to it) filters really need a good ADBV. Fram's just doesn't cut it. BTW doesn't the tough guard have a silicone ADBV just like the $10 filter?

-T

The Tough Guard does have a silicone ADBV. I installed one on my daughter's Toyota Tercel. She is a low mileage driver who doesn't use her car every day. Hopefully, it will do it's job until the next scheduled oil change in May when I will replace the Tough Guard with a Carquest (WIX) quality filter.

quote:

Originally posted by Islander:

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:

-T

The Tough Guard does have a silicone ADBV. I installed one on my daughter's Toyota Tercel. She is a low mileage driver who doesn't use her car every day. Hopefully, it will do it's job until the next scheduled oil change in May when I will replace the Tough Guard with a Carquest (WIX) quality filter.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the Tercel has a vertical filter like the Corolla. While it's still important, the ADBV isn't as critical. If your really concerned it wouldn't hurt to change it.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back