Fram Tough Guard vs Fram Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Bill_W
The Tough Guard does have a silicone ADBV, in fact it is the same as the Ultra Synthetic. The difference is it seats on that cardboard end and tube where the Ultra seats on the steel end cap. So we are not comparing apples to apples.

They should both seal well and work 100% if there isn't any problem causing them to leak. The spring in the dome end should put enough pressure on the guts to seal the center annulus of the ADBV regardless if it's up against a fiber or steel end cap.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I give up ZeeOSix...

OK gotta send one last shot... The noise in his Chevy when start up is normal with the Ultra filter. The quiet in his Chevy with the Tough Guard filter is not normal. The Fram filters have just been upgraded. There is a gen 1 Ultra Synthetic and a gen 2 Ultra Synthetic.

I see you added a bunch with an edit, so will respond again. I don't see the reasoning behind this comment. Care to elaborate on the technical reason you think this?

Leaky Seals stated "I thought it was just the way GM V8s are because everybody on the interwebs says so." We both agree that the issue is the the difference between two filters. What we do not agree with is what is normal for Leaky Seals start up noise. My reasoning is the oil is draining back with the Tough Guard filter and that noise with the Ultra is engine equipment that need oil is powering up. We both agree that a gear pump will force the oil filter to function if even in bypass.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 and Royal Purple have great oil filters, both made by Champion Labs and are almost the same.

These two filters look NOTHING AT ALL ALIKE when cut open!

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I give up ZeeOSix...

OK gotta send one last shot... The noise in his Chevy when start up is normal with the Ultra filter. The quiet in his Chevy with the Tough Guard filter is not normal. The Fram filters have just been upgraded. There is a gen 1 Ultra Synthetic and a gen 2 Ultra Synthetic.

I see you added a bunch with an edit, so will respond again. I don't see the reasoning behind this comment. Care to elaborate on the technical reason you think this?

Leaky Seals stated "I thought it was just the way GM V8s are because everybody on the interwebs says so." We both agree that the issue is the the difference between two filters. What we do not agree with is what is normal for Leaky Seals start up noise. My reasoning is the oil is draining back with the Tough Guard filter and that noise with the Ultra is engine equipment that need oil is powering up. We both agree that a gear pump will force the oil filter to function if even in bypass.

So if the oil is draining back with the TG (meaning a leaky ADBV), why did his engine stop making noise with the TG? I'm still not convinced that you realize he said it was the Ultra that he thinks caused the noise, not a TG. The Ultra ADBV can leak like any other oil filter if something is off.

Maybe it's a curse for his handle as "LeakySeals" ...
grin2.gif

All that was said is noise on start up. Noise means something is happening, good or bad. He asked around and was told noise is normal.

But noise means something is operating. He ran that Chevy for two years like that.

All that was said is noise on start up. Noise means something is happening, good or bad. He asked around and was told noise is normal.

But noise means something is operating. He ran that Chevy for two years like that.

Well, if it was really caused by the filter I'd say it's not because of "flow restriction" as we agree to for reasons already mentioned. So it's way more likely to be a leaky ADBV.

If it's not the oil filter than it's something inherent about the motor - and apparently the internet talk seemed to lean that way. Some GM engines are famous for cold piston slap (my Z06 has a very slight case). But hard to see how an oil filter would affect cold piston slap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back