FRAM Tough Guard TG8A

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Usage details:

This filter came off of my old Explorer, currently owned by my sister.

Vehicle: 1997 Ford Explorer XL
Engine: 4.0L OHV (pushrod)
Mileage: 306,000Km
OCI: 12,000Km
Oil: Mobil 1, various grades through its life.

I bought this truck in 1999 with 98,000Km on it. From that point on, it got M1 5w30. For this OCI, it was switched to M1 TDT 5w40.

OCI's have always been 10-12,000Km.

NOTE: This OCI was run with a baffed O2 sensor. So there is suspected fuel dilution.

Oil usage for this OCI was 1L.

The FRAM was used because the oil change was done when Walmart was the only place open, and that's all they sell up here.

The oil put back in was again M1 TDT 5w40, but this time with a Donaldson SYNTEQ filter. Pictures will be posted when that run is complete.

Pictures:

fram01.jpg

fram02.jpg

fram03.jpg

fram04.jpg

fram05.jpg

fram06.jpg

fram07.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: roushstage2
Looks like it caught some goodies in there?

What you see on my finger is what I was able to wipe off the media, which isn't much.

Compared to the 5w20 M1 run in my Expedition with half the mileage:

motorcraft10.jpg

The screen like thing looks interesting. What is it?

And since you took apart the media, what is the square ft of the media? (or km for you canucks)

Originally Posted By: toytundranator

And since you took apart the media, what is the square ft of the media? (or km for you canucks)

Looks like a filter for the bypass to me?

Also, even with the silicone ADBV, if I held the filter upside down, I got a small drip of oil from one of the holes.

That being said, when I cut the filter open, after letting it drain into a Tim Horton's cup for several hours, it was still 1/2 full of oil. It seems the media is restrictive enough to keep that much oil behind it when not under pressure.

Originally Posted By: toytundranator

Media measured:

63" x 4", or 252 square inches.

Note that the media was quite flimsy, I had to double-over one of the pleats when clamping it, because it ripped the first time I tried to stretch it out. Had to add that piece to the total length.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

The FRAM was used because the oil change was done when Walmart was the only place open, and that's all they sell up here.

Canadian Tire is open on Sundays too, you could've grabbed a Quaker State (Purolator) instead. But it's obviously too late to worry about that now.

What you see on my finger is what I was able to wipe off the media, which isn't much.

motorcraft10.jpg

Great pictures, thanks for posting them. Do you think the 5W20 did some additional cleaning? Or is it possible your rig has more dirt in it, is used differently, more miles, etc?

Any theories?

AD

Originally Posted By: hal
QS is not purolator anymore, it's fram

Is that true for certain numbers or for certain regions? Because the Quaker State 8A that I purchased a week ago was a Purolator. I took a picture of it and posted it here last night. I should have taken a picture of the base and threads.

hm, maybe they changed back to purolator again? they were frams for a while

For only 12,000km on that M1, that oil is awfully dark. I'd expect a truck that has been run on synthetics for most of tis life to be cleaner than that.....

Originally Posted By: Patman

Canadian Tire is open on Sundays too, you could've grabbed a Quaker State (Purolator) instead. But it's obviously too late to worry about that now.

It was 8:00 at night
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
For only 12,000km on that M1, that oil is awfully dark. I'd expect a truck that has been run on synthetics for most of tis life to be cleaner than that.....

Meh, its an old pushrod engine with a baffed O2, run for at least a year with a severe misfire (not my vehicle, didn't know about it until I rode in it). One of the plugs had the porcelain that covers the electrode break off!

We'll see what the next run looks like. It now has new O2's, and I did the plugs and wires a few months ago.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1

motorcraft10.jpg

Great pictures, thanks for posting them. Do you think the 5W20 did some additional cleaning? Or is it possible your rig has more dirt in it, is used differently, more miles, etc?

Any theories?

AD

We'll discuss that in the thread relevant to that picture if that's OK with you.

Originally Posted By: hal
hm, maybe they changed back to purolator again? they were frams for a while

The white Quaker State cans are Purolators. The old green cans were Frams. Canadian Tire has switched over its supplier for the store brand Motomaster filter. They are changing over from Fram to a Chinese supplier, BB Filter. The new filter can be distinguished from the old one by its all-black lettering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back