Fram Tough Guard 3614 Cut Open- internal damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
Shouldn't be a surprise since you went the economical route.

He really didn't. With the OE drain plug gaskets included. I bought a case in my size.
laugh.gif

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ten-10-90915-YZZD1-Genuine-Toyota-Oil-Filters-w-Drain-Gaskets-Avalon-Camry/351752102156?hash=item51e60f210c:g:~KYAAOSwu1VW8AfN:sc:USPSPriority!93950!US!-1

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
This filter came off a 05 sienna, 3.3l, the OCI was 4876 miles, running Mobil 1 5w30, from May 2016 to November 2016. I just cut it open yesterday.

There was a spot where the filter media was crushed a bit, I assume during assembly. There was no way I did it cutting it open, it's minor, but the filter media was almost torn, but I don't believe it was, but close. There was however an area by the ADBV where there was clearly a spot oil could bypass the filter.

This is how it came out.

I didn't want to monkey with it, so I can't tell for sure if the media is torn, but it's close.

Here's a gap

The rest of it looks good.

I showed these pictures to our chief engineer. He had concerns about the glazing appearance of the oil and said the filter is distorted because it was full and in bypass for some time. I am not questioning your oil, engine condition, change intervals but suggesting using a oil analysis at least once and changing filters more frequently.
You'd been better off not even commenting with that weak sauce.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: littleant
Quick question on fiber end caps. Looking at the photo the fiber end caps are wet and distorted. Does this allow unfiltered oil to entire the engine ? Thanks

Look at Toyota cartridge filters. Many of time do not use endcaps in the first place.
Wix and others are the same. Those cartridge filters have much more robust media.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes

He really didn't. With the OE drain plug gaskets included. I bought a case in my size.
laugh.gif

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ten-10-90915-YZZD1-Genuine-Toyota-Oil-Filters-w-Drain-Gaskets-Avalon-Camry/351752102156?hash=item51e60f210c:g:~KYAAOSwu1VW8AfN:sc:USPSPriority!93950!US!-1

My concern about Ebay filters is that the possibility of counterfeits.

I have purchased "genuine" Toyota parts off there which were counterfeit. In my case they had no operational effect on the vehicle.

I am not saying all filters on ebay are fakes, but I bet my last dollar some are.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
Originally Posted By: goodtimes

laugh.gif

My concern about Ebay filters is that the possibility of counterfeits.

I have purchased "genuine" Toyota parts off there which were counterfeit. In my case they had no operational effect on the vehicle.

I am not saying all filters on ebay are fakes, but I bet my last dollar some are.

This one is a USA Toyota dealership parts dept. I have bought a number of things from them. Not a ebay reseller. The filters are the same as from your local dealer, probably fresher.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I've opened an Extra Guard PH3506 that looked like that before. Very distorted and the ADBV no longer made a proper seal to the end cap. The rest of the Fram Extra Guard and Tough Guards I've opened looked fine.

Yeah, I'm cool with running the TG I installed in there now for a quick 4000-ish mile OCI. Plus, I am using some elite full synthetic oil which I feel, imo, is a better match for the TG as far as in my application, but anywayss. My MMS/OLM is already at 80% so it won't be too long in this heat. Then, I will pounce with the Ultra for next OCI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back