Fram TG3596A C&P, 6965 miles

This is a Fram TG3596 from a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 2.4 4 cylinder.
191,887 miles on vehicle, 6,965 miles/14 months on filter.

A bit wide spacing near the crimp, but media is intact.
Some soot and a few small metal particles as well, but for the mileage, nothing really unexpected.

IMG_8499.JPG

IMG_8501.JPG

IMG_8530.jpg

IMG_8531.jpg

IMG_8532.jpg

Youtube of cut apart:

I put on a Fram FPS9688 filter with some Pennzoil Platinum HM 10w-30. Plan on at least 7,000 miles on this next run as well.

It seems the quality has taken a nose dive. The TG was a nice filter at one time.

It seems the quality has taken a nose dive. The TG was a nice filter at one time.
The date code on this was A70602, which I believe to be March 1, 2017. Would make sense, since I bought it on clearance for like $3 at Walmart a few years ago when Fram "updated" the Tough Guard.

Still a good filter, just a bit wide at the seam, which it seems (ha, no pun intended) is a common issue with many filter makers.
This is a know tear spot for Purolator filters, but has not been a real problem for Fram filters (I think because of the fiber end caps being able to deform instead of tear from metal).

???

What quality concerns are you referring to? The only issue I have with the Tough Guard is the fact that Fram has been putting nitrile ADBV in recent times.
Think the nitrile ADBV thing might have been a temporary thing - supply issues perhaps. 🤷‍♂️ Seems people are reporting the silicone ADBV is back in the newer stock now.

???

What quality concerns are you referring to? The only issue I have with the Tough Guard is the fact that Fram has been putting nitrile ADBV in recent times.
I never heard about nitrile ADV in the TG, I know most of the Extra Guard filters had gone back to nitrile, did not know it affected the TG as well.
Not an issue for me, I have a stash of filters for all my vehicles.

???

I’ve been running tough guards for very long time and never saw a nitrile ADBV. I sure hope you have proof that tough guards use nitrile ADBV.

I’ve been running tough guards for very long time and never saw a nitrile ADBV. I sure hope you have proof that tough guards use nitrile ADBV.
I concur. I've been using a lot of TGs over the years. Always been happy with the result and never seen a nitrile ADBV in any of them.

I believe the comment was improperly focused on the TG, whereas the EG had nitrile, then silicone, and back to nitrile (at least for a short time). Whether it's cost savings or supply chain, we'll probably never know.

I concur. I've been using a lot of TGs over the years. Always been happy with the result and never seen a nitrile ADBV in any of them.

I believe the comment was improperly focused on the TG, whereas the EG had nitrile, then silicone, and back to nitrile (at least for a short time). Whether it's cost savings or supply chain, we'll probably never know.

It was discussed in this thread with pictures:

There were a few photos posted in this forum a few months ago showing nitrile ADBV in a TG. There was also one with a blue silicone ADBV (EG or TG, don't recall). That's why it seemed to be a supply issue at the time.

I always was an oe filter guy but lately wix, Mobil 1 and the kn select won my heart.. they look and feel stout. YouTube teardowns show they're quality filters.

There were a few photos posted in this forum a few months ago showing nitrile ADBV in a TG. There was also one with a blue silicone ADBV (EG or TG, don't recall). That's why it seemed to be a supply issue at the time.
It was an Extra Guard with the blue ADV.
Post has 3 identical Extra Guard filters, except a black, orange, and blue ADV.

I think the thread got locked because of bickering about how nitrile and silicone burn differently.

That was the thread that got me to go out and find some PH7317 filters with orange ADV for my few short oil change intervals on my motorcycle.

Back