Fram TG vs Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder V6 and a 7,000 mile OCI the Fram Tough Guard is supposed to be good for up to 10,000 miles so for a 7,000 mile OCI the TG seems sufficient. So what would I really gain by moving up to a Fram Ultra if I keep the OCI the same? Other then it costing me more $ is there really any advantage?

Not really much benefit moving from TG to Ultra unless you run longer filter change intervals. The Ultra is supposed to have 80% @ 5 micron efficiency, so that could be an advantage over the TG but don't remember if they have tested the TG at 5 microns.

Another benefit would be changing every other oil change.

You'd save time and money if you could stand to have a little old oil in your car.

The Ultra has metal end caps; the Tough Guard has cardboard

Trolling.gif

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
For my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder V6 and a 7,000 mile OCI ...

That's a pretty new vehicle, so the engine is probably very clean inside. If you are doing 7K OCIs, I'd run the Ultra and do 2x OCI on it, still putting less miles on the filter than it's rated at (15K).

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Another benefit would be changing every other oil change.

You'd save time and money if you could stand to have a little old oil in your car.

+1.....using the Ultra for 2 OCI's (2 X 7000) should work perfectly....and save a few dollars as well.

Actually, I suspect that 7k mile OCI is within factory recommendations, right?

You will probably cringe, but even the OCOD would easily suffice in that application. I suspect, being a typical BITOGer, you'll eschew such thoughts.

That in mind, the TG is way more than capable. The FU is a waste in this case. Actually, both are a waste overall, because you'll not run them long enough to glean any discernable difference. They are rated at the exact same efficiency, and neither would be anywhere close to a sense of "full" in terms of loading, so you're going to toss either away long before they are reasonably utilized. In short, using either the TG or FU is a waste. Might as well lessen the fiscal waste by using the TG.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back