Fram TG & Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got off the phone with Fram support. Thought I'd pass along some info the guy gave me.

Extra Guard (entry level Fram): 95% efficiency @ 20 microns

Tough Guard: 99.1% efficiency @ 20 microns

Ultra: 99.67% efficiency @ 20 microns

I know the 95/99 numbers are on their site, but the site doesn't clarify the tenths of a percent.

Applying these numbers to a theoretical supply of 1000 particles--the Extra Guard traps all but 50; the Tough Guard traps all but 9; the Ultra traps all but 4.

Additionally, the dirt holding capacity of the three is:
Extra Guard 8 grams
Tough Guard 10-12 grams
Ultra 26 grams

He also stated that the Ultra would have better flow through, because it is 100% synthetic, whereas the Extra and Tough Guard are synthetic-cellulose combinations.

I wouldn't get to wrapped up in an analytical comparative based on stated efficiencies.

It's a waste of your time.

Originally Posted By: paulri
Just got off the phone with Fram support. Thought I'd pass along some info the guy gave me.

I know the 95/99 numbers are on their site, but the site doesn't clarify the tenths of a percent.

Applying these numbers to a theoretical supply of 1000 particles--the Extra Guard traps all but 50; the Tough Guard traps all but 9; the Ultra traps all but 4.

Extra Guard 8 grams
Tough Guard 10-12 grams
Ultra 26 grams

He also stated that the Ultra would have better flow through, because it is 100% synthetic, whereas the Extra and Tough Guard are synthetic-cellulose combinations.

Thanks for taking the time to post the info. Pretty interesting.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Thanks for taking the time to post the info. Pretty interesting.

+1; good info thanks. Backs up the high opinion of the Ultra.

Ultra can be used in a clean engine for upward 25-30k miles based on holding capacity of 26 grams, provided that the air filter system is in good condition.

If an engine sheds 15-20 grams of metals in 30k miles then that engine is dying, no matter what oil and filter you are using you can't salvage that engine.

Thanks for the info
I think build quality is right up there with the filtering ability. To me the Ultra is the deal. I know why they build the others, but I wouldn't. I'd build nothing but Ultras and lower the price $2 and pretty much rule the filter market. That is the "knowledgeable market"
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Just to be clear though, all three will trap the particles.

33.gif

Extra Guard 8 grams
Tough Guard 10-12 grams
Ultra 26 grams

Thank You very much. I appreciate your time that was spent on that and it is good info.
Cheers.

Originally Posted By: Benito
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Just to be clear though, all three will trap the particles.

33.gif

And you're facepalming why?

Even the so-called rockcatcher Toyota and Honda OEM filters I use will too. I have yet to see any study that shows a high-efficiency filter makes any difference whatsoever. Do you have anything to show it does? Especially at the efficiency levels described in this thread.

People post that data as if it means the particles will never be captured. And conversely, these filters will also let particles pass.

Thanks for the info! I have done a 180 on Fram oil filters. I think they are very good. I have actually got some coworkers using them.

Extra Guard 8 grams
Tough Guard 10-12 grams
Ultra 26 grams

These numbers are posted on the TG filter box
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Ultra can be used in a clean engine for upward 25-30k miles based on holding capacity of 26 grams, provided that the air filter system is in good condition.

If an engine sheds 15-20 grams of metals in 30k miles then that engine is dying, no matter what oil and filter you are using you can't salvage that engine.

I run the Fram Ultra at 30k, and I rebuild the 1ZZ-FEs & 2AZ-FEs, I haven't seen any ill effects on the engine from tearing it apart or any inside the filter.

I don't know why people use them for very short intervals, the engines I listed, I have never ever seen them with any sort of "sludge" I have seen plenty of varnish varying on the oil maintenance performed but never any sludge so my usage of the Fram Ultra is clearly very engine specific and biased.

Maybe other engines load up filters quicker?

Last edited:
given the ultra has the capacity, does it make sense if, I change the oil once a year at 10k miles, to keep the filter and change it every other oil change? or still stick with change filter with oil?

Originally Posted By: Malo83

These numbers are posted on the TG filter box
cheers3.gif

Including the tenths of a percent? I didn't look at the box, only on their website.

I would just stick with the manufacturer recommendations. If something were to go wrong at least they can't say it was because you ran it for 20k.

I realize that most of the particles that cause wear are the small ones (below 20 microns)--that was shown in the first link, table C, page 8.

But a filters that are at 99% for 20 microns and above, will still be able to catch some of the smaller ones, also.

See this thread: [URL]http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1631963/1 where [/URL] the Pure One still has 90% efficiency for particles down to 6.7 microns.

That would have to reduce engine wear, would it not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back