Fram efficiency fyi

I'm not positive this hasn't been posted before, but here is the efficiency numbers for the new Fram Ultra media. I also asked about the extra guard and tough guard. Apparently they don't test those below 20 microns. I think I'll still go with the Ultra despite no wire backing.
Screenshot_20210831-090823.jpg
Screenshot_20210831-090219.jpg

Interesting, we have members here dumping Ultras over wire backing and Fram says they are even more efficient than before.

This has been discussed ad nauseam in the "New Fram Ultra" thread as well as other threads on BITOG, see my Royal Purple/Amsoil vs. Fram Ultra thread for example
Fair enough. I was more interested in the numbers at 15 and 10 microns which I couldn't seem to find anywhere.

This has been discussed ad nauseam in the "New Fram Ultra" thread as well as other threads on BITOG, see my Royal Purple/Amsoil vs. Fram Ultra thread for example.
I see your royal purple thread now, thanks. If the mods feel this is a repeat they can delete.

www.onallcylinders.com

Ask Away with Jeff Smith: Micron Ratings and What They Mean for Your Oil Filter - OnAllCylinders

I’ve been looking at aftermarket billet aluminum oil filters with a stainless mesh filter that you can disassemble, clean, and re-use. Are these any good? I don’t mind taking a …
www.onallcylinders.com
www.onallcylinders.com

According to Buckley, from a purely legal standpoint, if a filter traps one piece of 30 micron debris, the manufacturer can state it has the capacity to filter at the 30 micron level. Buckley says, “The only way a micron rating means anything is to use the filter efficiency numbers published by the manufacturer.” This filter efficiency rating is listed as a percentage. “For the Fram Ultra Guard filter, it is 99 percent efficient at 20 microns. At 10 microns it’s 94 percent efficient.”

The above link is from 2015, and the Buckley guy is Jay Buckley who at 1 time worked for Fram. So now Fram is saying that the old Fram Ultra is 71% efficient at 10 microns and the new media is 74% efficient at 10 microns. I believe Jay is a member on here and at 1 time he posted here on Bitog. So there is clearly some discrepancy in the numbers, I am going with what Jay Buckley said and I have enough of the old style Ultra to last me for the next 100,000 miles.

www.onallcylinders.com

Ask Away with Jeff Smith: Micron Ratings and What They Mean for Your Oil Filter - OnAllCylinders

I’ve been looking at aftermarket billet aluminum oil filters with a stainless mesh filter that you can disassemble, clean, and re-use. Are these any good? I don’t mind taking a …
www.onallcylinders.com
www.onallcylinders.com

According to Buckley, from a purely legal standpoint, if a filter traps one piece of 30 micron debris, the manufacturer can state it has the capacity to filter at the 30 micron level. Buckley says, “The only way a micron rating means anything is to use the filter efficiency numbers published by the manufacturer.” This filter efficiency rating is listed as a percentage. “For the Fram Ultra Guard filter, it is 99 percent efficient at 20 microns. At 10 microns it’s 94 percent efficient.”

The above link is from 2015, and the Buckley guy is Jay Buckley who at 1 time worked for Fram. So now Fram is saying that the old Fram Ultra is 71% efficient at 10 microns and the new media is 74% efficient at 10 microns. I believe Jay is a member on here and at 1 time he posted here on Bitog. So there is clearly some discrepancy in the numbers, I am going with what Jay Buckley said and I have enough of the old style Ultra to last me for the next 100,000 miles.
I’ll have to go with what Fram writes right now, not a person who was working at Fram said on a forum. There are more sides to take, the local test result here on this forum.

I don't believe it when the Fram chat guy says they don't test the EG and TG below 20u. If they run an ISO 4548-12 efficiency test the particle counter will be recording a few channels below 20u

It's more likely they don't have the info at their fingertips (would have to get it from test dept) or don't want to divulge it. They are divulging for the new Ultra because they want to convince people that the new Ultra is better than the old Ultra.

I'm not positive this hasn't been posted before, but here is the efficiency numbers for the new Fram Ultra media. I also asked about the extra guard and tough guard. Apparently they don't test those below 20 microns. I think I'll still go with the Ultra despite no wire backing.View attachment 69145View attachment 69146
The other thread has it in writing from Fram, so this chat session matches and confirms the written information. Looks like you got the right person who knows a thing or two about their testing.

The other thread has it in writing from Fram, so this chat session matches and confirms the written information. Looks like you got the right person who knows a thing or two about their testing.
All the Fram chat guys are up to speed now that they finally got word that it changed, after they found out about it from the customers calling in instead of their manager. 😄

Back