fram testing article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got this tidbit..
I wonder since fram has been putting on these Webinars about their filters.. I wonder if they've been reading the real life feedback from BITOG?

The FRAM Team Lets Consumers and Professionals Put its Filters to the Test

November 17, 2011

Cutting oil filters in half, caking them with dirt and oil, and subjecting them to extreme pressure – just another day at FRAM’s Perrysburg, OH, testing lab.

Earlier this year, leading U.S. oil filter brand FRAM launched Proving Grounds, an interactive website aimed at giving professionals and consumers a behind-the-scenes look at the brand’s extensive product testing. As part of the “Don’t Fail Your Engine” advertising campaign, the website incorporates a series of videos, styled after the television show Mythbusters, that gives viewers an in-depth look at each of the rigorous tests many of the oil filters are exposed to as part of FRAM’s engineering development and quality control processes.

“Our Proving Grounds site has given consumers and professionals a first-ever look ‘behind the curtain,’” said Jim Brown, director of marketing for FRAM. “We want people to see exactly what our brand stands for – quality and absolute transparency. FRAM filters are built to last, and we’re excited to prove it.”

The website features three videos, titled “Clog Test,” “Dirt Test” and “Burst Test.” Each video shows the actual tests in action, and shows the extent to which FRAM filters are tested for performance under pressure, as well as the longevity of the product under pressure.

Beginning in early 2012, FRAM will be adding three new video modules to the Proving Grounds website. The videos will cover information on paper vs. metal end caps, filter construction, and filter media. Additionally, FRAM is developing a mobile site that professionals and consumers will be able to access via QR codes on product packaging. For more details, visit FRAM.com/proof.

I like the H-ell test....
lol.gif

Oops, forgot this site has censors...
06.gif

Well, marketing and advertising has always been Fram's forte. Building a quality filter, worth the price, not so much.

The Fram Proving Grounds thread has come and gone. Since then there's been a thread on removal of the PH3614 from shelves at Wally. Note I didn't call it a "recall", so as not to offend, but it sure seemed like one to me.

Then just a few threads down from this, now a cheapened base plate, with a lousy mounting hole design has appeared.

It seems since Rank took over, favoring increased advertising over improved design, is the order of the day. In fact, based on recent threads here, there seems to be movement backward in quality. Amazing.

But, I suppose for the masses the advertising campaign may work. I suspect for many who frequent this board however, actions speak louder than smoke an mirrors advertising.
49.gif

Originally Posted By: hpichris
I want to see this paper vs metal endcaps video...

they will probably just say they do it to protect the environment. i don't see ANY other benefits to paper.

IIRC, it's not 'paper', but treated fiber. It's purpose is the hold the media in place. It doesn't filter, and there's really no pressure, as such, on it.

It has worked for millions if not billions of Orange filters for many, many years.

Fram is fine for noobs, or when it's dirt cheap,that what is should be.
Only Extended Guard worth it's price.
There is so many videos bashing OCODs worldwide.
My last OCOD was used for 15 min flush OCI. 2 TG filters(from sale) left in stash will be used max 5k miles each.

We don't use them anymore, but did for a decade or more of tough fleet use. Never even a hiccup, and that was easily hundreds of filters or more.

You'll never hear from the gazillions of people who used them and never had any problems. The Net seems to amplify things way beyond their real impact.

Quote:
IIRC, it's not 'paper', but treated fiber....

According to Fram, the proper term for the fiber end caps is "engineered media". And please, don't refer to them cardboard.
56.gif

And, while it is accurate to say that the orange can has worked for many, there are better constructed filters available for the same or less money. Put less money into advertising and marketing, and more into improving filter quality. But, as other recent Fram threads have shown, it appears to going in the opposite direction.

Originally Posted By: EricF
Got this tidbit..

The website features three videos, titled “Clog Test,” “Dirt Test” and “Burst Test.” Each video shows the actual tests in action, and shows the extent to which FRAM filters are tested for performance under pressure, as well as the longevity of the product under pressure.

What about the Anti-drainback valve test? My Junk rattles in the morning with the OCOD on it.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Got this tidbit..

What about the Anti-drainback valve test? My Junk rattles in the morning with the OCOD on it.

When using OCOD both my 1980 & 1989 F-150 with the 4.9 six had cold start up noises, very unsettling. This happened all year long but was much worse in the winter. I had start up noise with my '96 Contour 2.0, but to a lesser extent than the trucks. Finally switched to Motorcraft oil filters and all was quiet, even in below 0 temps, using the proper oil, which I was using all along.

Whimsey

Last edited:
Just noticed taking a Fram Extended off my car that the inlet holes are more like 8p nail holes than the oblong holes we see on others. Can't imagine how those small holes have any advantage on filtration or performance.

Ok.. millions of fram OCOD's & clones have been used worldwide.

what percentage of car owners would know if they were having problems with engine startup noise, valve noise, the filter breaking internally, etc.. etc.. etc..

I'll give a liberal answer of 25%.

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
Originally Posted By: hpichris
I want to see this paper vs metal endcaps video...

they will probably just say they do it to protect the environment. i don't see ANY other benefits to paper.

who makes a cartridge filter for my car with metal endcaps? Clearly, my made-in-germany cartridge filter for my car is an inferior filter due to the paper/resin endcap.

maybe I should buy a Chinese Mahle filter, which has a plastic endcap....

In cartridge filters, a hard thermoplastic end cap is still better than a flexible "engineered fiber" end cap.

Ok.. millions of fram OCOD's & clones have been used worldwide.

what percentage of car owners would know if they were having problems with engine startup noise, valve noise, the filter breaking internally, etc.. etc.. etc..

I'll give a liberal answer of 25%.

i'd bet less than 12%

The Fram hatred on here is silly.Unless you have had an engine failure yourself because of a Fram filter,just be quiet.
Some of the top engine builders use Fram but I guess some of the people on here know more.
They are a cheap filter that does its job.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
We don't use them anymore, but did for a decade or more of tough fleet use. Never even a hiccup, and that was easily hundreds of filters or more.

You'll never hear from the gazillions of people who used them and never had any problems. The Net seems to amplify things way beyond their real impact.

^ Very True.

Originally Posted By: VRAY
The Fram hatred on here is silly.Unless you have had an engine failure yourself because of a Fram filter,just be quiet.
Some of the top engine builders use Fram but I guess some of the people on here know more.
They are a cheap filter that does its job.

it's started by the percieved notion that metal endcaps are superior that started at least 10 years ago.

I have used fram in my old toyotas

I use fram right now....but fram sources the cartridge filters for my cars from other companies...

Originally Posted By: VRAY
Unless you have had an engine failure yourself because of a Fram filter,just be quiet.

There have been reported engine failures from Fram filters, so I'll take that as just as good as first hand experience.
whistle.gif
I'd use an XG series Fram, but not the other models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back