fram testing article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: VRAY
They are a cheap filter that does its job.

I don't doubt that the Frams do their job. Whether they're "cheap" or not is the issue. They are "cheaply" constructed. They are not "cheap" to buy, when I can buy Wix or Bosch for substantially less.

I have used Fram in the past of all flavors, and continue to use the XG variety. I have never heard any noise or anything untoward on anything from Crown Victorias to Durangos, to a Suzuki, to a Jeep Patriot, or any of the many vehicles and equipment I used them on. The only issue I had was one of them shedding its gasket when I took it off (not too big an issue except when the engine reminds you the old gasket stuck by ejecting 7 quarts of oil in your yard). I have no doubt there have been problematic frams, and no doubt there have been problematic Wix, Bosch, M1, etc. I use the XGs now because of the better media, not because of any design flaw with the OCOD. I have stayed loyal to one brand for a year or so at a time, gone with the whatever is on sale approach, etc. Never really used a filter that was so atrocious I felt bad about slamming it on the vehicle.

I'd use a Fram if they were priced accordingly. It's hard to justify a basic Fram for $2 more than a Bosch or Wix. When one starts to get into the high quality construction Frams (the U.S. XG is called the synthetic filter up here), you're looking at a $14+ filter for what would be $5 for Wix.

Some filter companies spend a great deal of time and money trying to make them as cheap as possible and still pass the MINIMUM specifications.

Others just choose the make them they best they can be.

Why waste time on Frams or risk it when you can get a better filter for the same price?

I switched from them on Hondas and Fords to Purolators/Motorcraft, simply because of the start up noise and how much longer it took to pressurize the oil (Fords had guages) than just about all the filters brands I tried. The Purolators/Motorcraft work great and I have had cars/trucks with 200+k miles that were driven hard daily.

The end caps are another story. I actually use the rpms in my engine and take people around the racetrack in whatever I drove to driving school. It needs to not fail.

Fram does make excellent high performance filters, with surprise, metal end caps, but cost much more than the OCODs.

Fram Orange Can of Death is a very poor value for the money.

Instead of making a better product they are too busy advertising and putting their logo on hats and NASCAR crates.

fram sent me a shirt for taking their test online, so they are obviously a great company. lol =P

read this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/eating...n-ohio-1261517/

fram is either changing their ways or spending major $$$ to advertise that they have changed. the shirt i got from them is a long sleeve carhart brand tee shirt. thats an expensive shirt....

anyway, i trust fram, their air filter i have works great.
i don't like the extra guard but not for defects but because its advertised from fram to suck. why would i use 95% filtration Vs. 99% that the TG series have.

as for fiber end caps....

glue 2 pieces of paper together...then pull them apart.

now glue paper to metal and pull them apart.

depending on the paper you used you will find the paper media has bonded together better. paper offers and more textured and porous surface for glue to bond too. just like the need to sand an area before painting.

nothing wrong with metal end caps but i dont see what paper wont work either.

the freakin filter media is paper, whhy not the end caps....

in the end i use purolator Pureone

i plan in whereing my fram shirt to go pick up some purolator products....its gonna be fun.

Here in Texas they are 3.00 at Walmart.I cant get Bosch or Wix off the shelf for that price.They are the cheapest name brand you can get. I am talking store price,not rebates.

The only failures I noted with Fram filters have been some "tappy" starts. Most likely from ADBV not sealing good on my Ford. I've never had an issue with the filtering ability of a Fram either. There are better filters for the $, but also there are better built filters for less $ and worse filters for the same or less $.
I just choose to buy better filter for the $ because I can.

Good points, Mr. RPM. Many of us have probably gone overboard with the "Orange Can of Death" thing. Fram is but one "flavor" in the oil filter market. When you properly evaluate them in their class, I think they do OK. Sometimes, they may be a bit overpriced in their markets but you can often find them on sale. I doubt I'll buy any Frams in the near future but I gotta say the hysteria against them tends to get a little insane at times. Kinda like K&N, RP, M-1 (oh God, the IRON) and other brands. Debates on the merits is great, but hate and dismissal based on anecdotes (real or fabricated) is simply ridiculous.

I enjoyed the Fram presentations, BTW, though they were obviously "sales-pitchy." Nice to see they have responded to a reputation problem in a semi-technical way. For ad pukes, usually obsessed with cute hyperbole, they did a fairly good job of responding to gearheads.

Quote:
Here in Texas they are 3.00 at Walmart.

Here, the average cost of the orange can at Wally for very common applications like the 7317, is ~$4.65. Quite simply, I can get filter construction that I believe is superior for the same or less money, with or without rebates. But currently, a much better construction with rebates for the same or only slightly more, with little effort. Amazon makes that possible for most. AAP and Kmart makes it possible for many.

That said, if the orange can works for some, cool. Just think there are better values out there (cost for construction), and a new advertising campaign, without some corresponding filter construction improvement, doesn't change that for me.

Originally Posted By: VRAY
Here in Texas they are 3.00 at Walmart.I cant get Bosch or Wix off the shelf for that price.They are the cheapest name brand you can get. I am talking store price,not rebates.

That's not so bad. Up here, the Frams are absolutely not a bargain. Their air filters, however, I get very cheap, and I like their construction, so it's a win-win. My G takes two air filters, and I get two Frams for less than I get one of just about any other brand.

for me frams are 3bucks for extra, 5 bucks for tough, 8 bucks for xtended.

the tough guard claims 99% efficiency (idk what size micron)and has a silicone ADV. so in my mine thats comparable to a PureOne if the fram actually does what its advertised to do.

then the xtended guard is a long mileage filter thats comparable to Boshe distance and mobil 1

so for all 3 categories they are all 2-4 bucks cheaper then the competition. plus i can get them all at wal-mart, meijer, autozone, ect...

for my purolators i got to drive out of my way to grab the filter then go buy the oil elsewhere where its much cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back