Fram PH16 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow filter geeks.

This filter was run as a test and I believe it was a success. In my Jeep I have been fighting lifter bleed down that causes start up death rattle ever since I have owned it. Over time I have found a few filters that do well at preventing it (Napa Silver, Fram TG and Motorcraft S series). I have done some recent flushes and Italian tune ups due to recommendations on Jeep Forum, so I was curious if anything was better. Thus the reason I tried an orange can for the second half of my OCI, I was curious if I had made any progress as the orange can had caused start up issues in the past.

Secondly, another PH16 was recently posted that was fairly new manufacture (Feb 2015). I noticed it had more pleats than I had ever seen on a PH16, as well as better pleat spacing. It had 36 pleats instead of the 31 to 32 I had always seen on PH16's. So I got to wondering if the PH16 had been improved a bit. Thread here:

Other new PH16 thread

So I ran a PH16 experiment with both those questions in mind. I didn't have any trouble out of it at start up, except for a few mornings when it dropped to the 30's and 40's I had a little clatter but not my death rattle. Don't know if that was due to the PH16, but think it was more likely the SAE 30 I was still running then, as I had not one lick of trouble out of this PH16 otherwise. No after start "tick" with this like I have gotten with orange cans on the Jeep before either.

This PH16 was made in May 2015. It also had 36 pleats and better spacing than older PH16's so apparently the PH16 has come up a bit. Still not a glamorous filter but looks better than before. Makes me wonder if the also ugly PH8A has gotten the same treatement.

Anyway I was encouraged with my Jeep issue this worked much better than I expected. I still want more media than this but this worked well enough I may run a PH8A or PH3600 next summer. Still not gonna win any beauty contests but the older PH16's were so ugly this is a notable improvement.

screen shot windows 7

upload a picture

gifs upload

free jpeg images

how to do a screen shot

That looks good!

I have always liked the OCOD for a short interval but for the price, I have always used the driveworks oil filter, but RockAuto with their closeout sales, make it hard to buy any other low tier filters.

Wow, one of the few PH 16s I've seen that look decent, usually they are the worst of the orange cans.

I agree although i would never use this filter on anything, they did improve a little lately thanks to the internet.. This is still a filter i would stay away from.. The only fram filter that i like at this point is their ultra i will be cutting a couple of ultras open in a few months.

I also obtained a brand new fram filter from a friend when he owned his 78 Cadillac.. He sold that car in 1993 so its probably at least that old.. It is a PH3429 if i remember correctly all orange i will be cutting that open with a newer fram filter to see the difference sooner or later...

Yeah right! This filter is ok for 3-5k. I like it and tough guards

KCJEEP: thanks for cut and post and disregard naysayers like one above

I say everyone should continue to cut open filters and look at them they say a picture is worth a thousand words but seeing it with your own eyes now thats priceless..

Everyone is entitled to their opinions though so its all good. Yes KC thank you for the cut and post what did you cut it with?

Last edited by a moderator:
Awful funny you say u used to use PUROLATOR filters and all of a sudden you don't. I use MC 400S on my jeep and FRAM HM and EG-16 when $$ allows sir.

Crazyoildude: why in gods name did you specifically say "I would NEVER USE THIS FILTER ON ANYTHING then turn around and outright kiss someone's behind???!

I have used the EG-16 before also so you crazyoildude know for future reference and please watch the criticism of fellow members that DO cut and post used oil filters

Thank you

Crazyoildude: I don't understand you at all btw. Forget about me ever posting any filters that I cut and post. Thanks for calling me something I am not too!

I don't have a problem with Fram orange cans. They seem to be pretty unrestrictive, yet have a pretty good efficiency rating.

I trust cellulose endcaps. We all trust cellulose media to filter our oil, but some of us seem to think it is a problem to have a double thick layer for endcaps. I don't see what there is too complain about. It's a decent filter for a decent price.

Many here praised purolator filters and bashed the OCOD because it was more money. Most found out that they were using the worst value of the two. The OCOD is a much better overall filter than the purolator Classic. IMO it is worth the extra dollar.

KCJeep - what it the pleat depth and length between end caps for a quick calculation of the total media area?

A = P x 2 x D x L

A = total media Area
P = number of Pleats
D = pleat Depth
L = pleat Length

Hi car51
I did not mean to make you feel bad i am sorry if i sometimes get carried away. I happen to like your posts. I won't let that happen again. I don't know exactly what i said that you did not like but whatever it was im sorry..

UNKNOWN Mileage? Looks new to me
laugh.gif

I used this the last 2 intervals on my 99 3.5 Chrysler. I didn't take them apart, but I like the textured can. It helps removal due to very tight access. I run them about 4K.

This one doesn't have very many miles on it, the Jeep gets short tripped anymore and only does about 6k a year now. I'd guess the filter has 1000 to 1500 miles on it as I only tested it the last portion of the OCI.

Z06 I still have it I will have to get those measurements. Still not overly impressive in the media department but clearly improved.

Filter was cut with a hacksaw.

I happen to like the orange can on several of our cars. Only $3.77 at Wally's for a relatively high efficiency filter, most I get at AAP though as fillers for discount codes so I usually get them for about 3 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back