Fram or OEM Mazda?

Just bought a 2016 CX5 and looking into some maintenance.

The OEM Mazda Filter looks pretty basic and doesn't have/need an ADBV.
Fram's EG is rated at 10k OCI and the TG at 15k OCI.

Leaning towards the Fram TG since I do 7.5k OCI. What do you think?

Nothing wrong with either. The FRAM is good for 95-99% above 20 microns though.

I used OEM and M1 when I had my miata. Both are fine. With ADBV being no concern you could also run supertech 6607 costs $3 filtering 95% at 30 micron. I run Supertech on my kia with 6 mo OCI. Tough guard never seemed worth it to me. IMO extra guard or ultra for Fram. Aftermarket filters have much better filtration.

I used OEM and M1 when I had my miata. Both are fine. With ADBV being no concern you could also run supertech 6607 costs $3 filtering 95% at 30 micron. I run Supertech on my kia with 6 mo OCI. Tough guard never seemed worth it to me. IMO extra guard or ultra for Fram. Aftermarket filters have much better filtration.
Same here.

.... Tough guard never seemed worth it to me. IMO extra guard or ultra for Fram. ...
The ToughGuard was a better deal when it was about $1.50 cheaper.
For quite a while at Walmart it was a ExtraGuard for $3.50, TG for $5, Ultra for $7.
Now the EG is still a good deal @ $3.88, TG is $6.82, and Ultra is $7.92 (these are PH2 size filters, but price is the same for most).
For ~$1 more than the TG you can get the Ultra, so that is a better deal over the TG.

The ExtraGuard is a 10,000 mile rated filter, so with a 7,500 mile interval, that would be fine.

The ToughGuard was a better deal when it was about $1.50 cheaper.
For quite a while at Walmart it was a ExtraGuard for $3.50, TG for $5, Ultra for $7.
Now the EG is still a good deal @ $3.88, TG is $6.82, and Ultra is $7.92 (these are PH2 size filters, but price is the same for most).
For ~$1 more than the TG you can get the Ultra, so that is a better deal over the TG.

The ExtraGuard is a 10,000 mile rated filter, so with a 7,500 mile interval, that would be fine.
You're right.... I just checked the price of all three and it's just as you described.
I might as well go with the EG since it has a 10k rating like you said.

Appreciate all the feedback... new to Mazda's and I'm probably overthinking everything o_O:cool:

You're right.... I just checked the price of all three and it's just as you described.
I might as well go with the EG since it has a 10k rating like you said.

Appreciate all the feedback... new to Mazda's and I'm probably overthinking everything o_O:cool:
Enjoy the car! I have plenty of filter dissections in my history if you’re curious to see internals.

Using the Fram XG7317 on my 2014 NA 2.5L Skyactiv....I like to live dangerously.

On a serious note I refuse to pay more for the OEM MV Mexico-made value line filter. The Roki filters are too hard to find and are more than the Ultras.

I change every other 4000 mile oil change, and have 3 left....after that may just go to the Fram extra guard....but thats a long way from now.

Back