Fram - Lifter Clattter

What's that got to do with it?
High efficiency rating seemed to have much more noise in the winter than lesser pleated paper types.
This all started with tiny filters and VVT which seem to happen around the same time.

depth media and synthetic media units are another animal altogether and seem not to be as prone to problems.

Has to be an isolated incident. I find it hard to believe that every Fram that you would put on there, if you were so inclined to experiment by doing so, would cause clatter. I've ran TG's and Ultra's for years and thousands of miles without having any start up clatter. Position of the filter never mattered either as I had an '07 Wrangler with the filter in the front, facing straight out. On that rig, I did have a start up rattle once with a Mobil1 filter, changed it out after the second time with another and it was resolved.
I believe you'll find a defective filter from every make at some point, you've obviously been unfortunate enough to have a couple of bad experiences with Fram in the couple of times that you had them. But,.... if I were bitten twice out of two times, I might have the same mindset as you, who knows?

High efficiency rating seemed to have much more noise in the winter than lesser pleated paper types.
Lots of high efficiency oil filters flow very well ... including paper media filters. If there's "more noise" in the winter, then most likely the noise has more to do with the engine, viscosity of the oil and pumpability of the oil by the PD oil pump.

The filter mounts on a 5.3 with the open end up...it can't drain unless the truck is upside down.
Filters mounted base up with a leaky ADBV can still cause the oil galleries above the filter to drain out. Same effect, which is no oil in part of the oiling system upon start-up.

Good to go. Nothing wrong with my engine.
Thank you for replying.

But I don't know what "good to go" means.

Could it mean that you are accepting the noise as normal?

thanks - Ken.

p.s: I am just probing as I have had "unexplained" issues with oiling on multiple engines.
In fact, I even lost a brand new engine during the warm-up drive to work on the first really cold day in the Winter.
it appeared to have an improperly made NISSAN (China O.E .) Filter on it where the cardboard endcap at the base end apparently effectively blocked adequate flow of the from the showerhead inlet holes to the media pleat area.
I'll look for the photo. I couldnt find my archived photo but here is another.

It had to judge here but the carboard end cap just clears the canister inside wall by about .003 in.
near the base. And just imagine that cardboard swelling if there is moisture in the sump.

nissan filter.JPG

Thank you for replying.

But I don't know what "good to go" means.

Could it mean that you are accepting the noise as normal?

thanks - Ken.

p.s: I am just probing as I have had "unexplained" issues with oiling on multiple engines.
In fact, I even lost a brand new engine during the warm-up drive to work on the first really cold day in the Winter.
it appeared to have an improperly made NISSAN (China O.E .) Filter on it where the cardboard endcap at the base end apparently effectively blocked adequate flow of the from the showerhead inlet holes to the media pleat area.
I'll look for the photo. I couldnt find my archived photo but here is another.

It had to judge here but the carboard end cap just clears the canister inside wall by about .003 in.
near the base. And just imagine that cardboard swelling if there is moisture in the sump.

View attachment 59710
Measure those caps with an accurate cailiper and subtract it from the can diameter inside. You will find it’s ok even if you think it’s not. I did exactly that on a filter I think it was a Baldwin. The calculated area is larger than the inlet holes which is all that matters.

Filters mounted base up with a leaky ADBV can still cause the oil galleries above the filter to drain out. Same effect, which is no oil in part of the oiling system upon start-up.
This is 100% correct. The upper oil galleys (lifters etc) stay full after shutdown with properly operating ADBV. When removing the prior filters (PF63E) at oil change, there is as much oil drains out of the top side of the engine as what the filter holds. Any filter can have problems. So far there has never been any lifter clatter until use of the Fram.

Last edited:
Measure those caps with an accurate cailiper and subtract it from the can diameter inside. You will find it’s ok even if you think it’s not. I did exactly that on a filter I think it was a Baldwin. The calculated area is larger than the inlet holes which is all that matters.
It was Inadequate. It was actually 0.0 - 0.003" gap, not 0.030" = about 0.025 sq-in
. I am sure the pump was deforming the endcaps and pushing
the cartridge to the top of the canister collapsing the assembly spring - to no avail.
After killing a bunch of engines, including some guys on this forum with a Versas, Nissan went to another better but still bad supplier in Mexico. Then we saw ADBV failures. Then I ran a Honda Filtech and that failed ( posted photos here ) due to media tearing.

Last edited:
Back