Fram - Lifter Clattter

2017 GMC 5.3. 52k miles. Always used Delco PF63E. In a rush and WM didn’t have my filter so picked up the beloved Fram Toughgaurd. Lifters now clatter when first starting engine. I’ve said “never again” 15 years ago regarding the use of Fram because of the clatter on an F150 I had at the time. Those rushed moments of weakness will cause me more work and expense. Never say never? This time it sticks.

2017 GMC 5.3. 52k miles. Always used Delco PF63E. In a rush and WM didn’t have my filter so picked up the beloved Fram Toughgaurd. Lifters now clatter when first starting engine. I’ve said “never again” 15 years ago regarding the use of Fram because of the clatter on an F150 I had at the time. Those rushed moments of weakness will cause me more work and expense. Never say never? This time it sticks.
I feel your pain. I miss the good champ labs stuff, That E core is garbage also. I stopped with the Toughuard as its very high efficiency. I prefer a screen door to a coffee filter. Run a big wix or purolator equivalent - or since YOU had luck with the E core run another E core.
But I have found VVT flaky and they will crap out at an oil change more often than not, but in this application I would guess you have a faulty ADBV.

Did you give it the blow test?

Well that sucks to hear. The fram has a silicone adbv but it probably failed, the psi setting for bypass isn't too different and i think it should open sooner. I used an orange can on my gmc's and had no start up issues. That was back when i knew nothing about oil filters and nitrile adbv's but didnt have start up issues but you should switch that filter out. The fram 10060 and 10575 for that engine are pretty overpriced at my walmart. About $6 while a ultra is just a few bucks more than an extra guard. The toughguard 10575 is a dollar more expensive than the ultra 10575 so i think my walmart is completely messed up on prices. I always stock up on filters and will get more once I'm on my last 1 or 2 like i am now. ill probably switch filters too. may go back to ac delco for my old trucks since they cost less than orange cans in my store. On my new truck ill use a fram ultra instead once I'm off the delco fill.

honestly you're not happy that you chose the fram over your much preferred delco. just put a delco on so you can hear the sounds of nature.

Cut that Grey can open!!!!!!!! then post pics here.

I just put a Toughguard on my Mustang it ticks just the same as when I used Motorcrafts.

Just head over to your nearest sea;ership and grab some oem filters. I've never once had a filter cause engine noise, but go grab yourself some oem's, if not for anything other than your peace of mind (y)

Have you used any of them? What application and placement and orientation.
This data is good to know.
To have had no issues with them means they must have been used by me, wouldn't it?.

The filters were a combination of TG-2's and TG-8's. They were used on a 2003 Ford 4.6 and a 1987 3.8 liter engines. Their installed position is on their sides, parallel to the ground so they would be very prone to allow oil to escape them if there was a malfunctioning ADBV. Again, I had no problems with them.

Back