FRAM filter metal flakes from forming thread?

My formerly favorite brand of filter has moved production to China, so I am looking for a new favorite. Fram seemed to meet all my needs so I picked up a orange can at Walmart to bring home and look at. I noticed the start of the thread is really rough and has some metal flaking off of it - you can see a "hanging chad" piece in the top of this picture - there were a couple larger than this I flaked off with my fingernail.

I assume this is not good? How common is this? I was thinking some flavor of this filter was going to be my new standard - my dad has been using these since I was a kid and I am in my 50's. Thoughts?

The good news is it appears to have a drilled hole core, metal endcaps, and a nitrile ADV.

IMG_8666.JPG

Metal end caps? ... so it's an Ultra? Photo shows a silicone ADBV (orange in color), not nitrile.

Every oil filter I've ever bought regardless of brand can stand some kind of thread cleaning. Threads should always be inspected and cleaned before installing the filter. Also inspect louvers on filters that have them.

I stopped at the same walmart on the way home and looked at a couple each of the orange can, silver can, and gold can in my size 7317. All had the same thread issues, some better - some worse. Mine (orange can) picture above was much worse originally - i flicked a couple larger pieces of metal off before I took the picture. BTW all had a orange ADV.

I looked at the supertech 7317 - which I believe is the same filter more or less, and its threads were perfect. I thought they were made in the same place, so must be just a bad batch of the Fram ones.

Why worry about 99% at some micron level when who knows how much left over thread has fallen into the outlet hole already. If there ready to let this slide, then who knows what else they would also. Guess I will return this one and keep looking for a different brand to use.

Why worry about 99% at some micron level when who knows how much left over thread has fallen into the outlet hole already. If there ready to let this slide, then who knows what else they would also. Guess I will return this one and keep looking for a different brand to use.
Just inspect before going to the cash register ... you'll be doing that now no matter what brand you buy.

Just inspect before going to the cash register ... you'll be doing that now no matter what brand you buy.
You can only see so much. If there willing to let this transgression go, what else could be wrong and you not know? I realize that is the case with every filter, and most filters are now built in one of two places, so its likely the same everywhere. I am warming up to the e-core idea. At least I can see a little more of it before install.

You can only see so much. If there willing to let this transgression go, what else could be wrong and you not know? I realize that is the case with every filter, and most filters are now built in one of two places, so its likely the same everywhere. I am warming up to the e-core idea. At least I can see a little more of it before install.
I've seen much worse posted here with other brands too. Welcome to oil filters 2022. 😄

My formerly favorite brand of filter has moved production to China, so I am looking for a new favorite. Fram seemed to meet all my needs so I picked up a orange can at Walmart to bring home and look at. I noticed the start of the thread is really rough and has some metal flaking off of it - you can see a "hanging chad" piece in the top of this picture - there were a couple larger than this I flaked off with my fingernail.

I assume this is not good? How common is this? I was thinking some flavor of this filter was going to be my new standard - my dad has been using these since I was a kid and I am in my 50's. Thoughts?

The good news is it appears to have a drilled hole core, metal endcaps, and a nitrile ADV.

View attachment 114752
Were you able to clean up the Fram threads? Or did you go with another brand?

Back