Fram extra guard oil filter best oil filter ever.

Most of yall know i hate fram, blame on being on BITOG back then, hahha, anyway I pick fram Extra guard for everything I own now, anything that daily drive and drive in normal condition, I like fram cause its easy available and plentyfull and the price is right at walmart. and it does the job 5k miles or 6 month OCI. make life easy and simple. also i love the suregrip on bottom of oil filter, i dont think i can live without it lol

Most of yall know i hate fram, blame on being on BITOG back then, hahha, anyway I pick fram Extra guard for everything I own now, anything that daily drive and drive in normal condition, I like fram cause its easy available and plentyfull and the price is right at walmart. and it does the job 5k miles or 6 month OCI. make life easy and simple. also i love the suregrip on bottom of oil filter, i dont think i can live without it lol
What caused you to change your mind?

I have been seriously thinking of going to the TG for the next filter on my Frontier and my 98 Mustang. Why,? you say, well because I think the ultra is overkill for them, as I don't drive either very much, and to get the value out of them I would have to leave it on for 4 years, and I can't see doing that. And I feel it is better than the EG. But are they (the TG) still available or has Fram dropped them?

I have been seriously thinking of going to the TG for the next filter on my Frontier and my 98 Mustang. Why,? you say, well because I think the ultra is overkill for them, as I don't drive either very much, and to get the value out of them I would have to leave it on for 4 years, and I can't see doing that. And I feel it is better than the EG. But are they (the TG) still available or has Fram dropped them?

If you cannot obtain a Tough Guard you should go over to our friends at Advance Auto Parts and get the ultimate Orange Can, the FRAM FORCE!!!

"May the Fram Force be with you... always!"
- Obi-Wan Kenobi

At that point, why not just get a Motorcraft filter?

Nothing really wrong with any of the Fram filters these days. Of all the cut & post done here, Fram is one brand that seems to have less failure issues then many other brands out there ... and they are all pretty efficient (EG being the lowest efficiency at 95% @ 20 microns ... same as a regular WIX/NAPA Gold). Fram suffers from things done a long ago (hard to rectify a bad reputation from long ago), but anyone keeping up with oil filters will see they really aren't bad today ... bad only in the eyes of people who keep drinking the bad reputation Kool-Aid from many years past, lol.

Decent filter, depends on pricing and interval I would roll with this or Supertech. I find the pricing strange with Fram at walmart. For example the ph4967 is $3.88 for my gf toyota, but for my Kia its almost double $5.78. Thats nearly 50% more for basically the same filter. Also the tg12060 for the chevy was .10 cent more than the ph12060 (5.88)

Also was surprised home depot also carries Fram Extra guard line only but for competitive prices, much better than auto parts stores.

Last edited:
I used the Orange Cans Of Deliciousness ever since my very first car. I experimented with various others, but now use Orange Cans exclusively. I mean, tres bonz for a silicone adbv-filtered oil filter can't be beat!!:D

Decent filter, depends on pricing and interval I would roll with this or Supertech. I find the pricing strange with Fram at walmart. For example the ph4967 is $3.88 for my gf toyota, but for my Kia its almost double $5.78. Thats nearly 50% more for basically the same filter. Also the tg12060 for the chevy was .10 cent more than the ph12060 (5.88)

Also was surprised home depot also carries Fram Extra guard line only but for competitive prices, much better than auto parts stores.

For whatever reason Fram bumped the prices on Hyundai/Kia recommended oil filters like the 9688 series a few years ago. Some speculate this is due to improvements made to conform to Hyundai/Kia specifications but it appears that other similar Fram filter offerings, such as the 3593a series filters, have had such enhancements applied to them as well while still maintaining a lower price point. Who knows?

I personally would grab a Supertech over the Fram Orange can but the Orange Can does the job so to each his own.

Back