Fram Extra Guard - 5000km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak

Canadian Tire is Fram Central.

Our CT stores in Ontario are different, they do carry Frams but they also carry K&N, Quaker State, Bosch, and the Motomaster brand (which as posted on here is no longer from Fram, but it's a Chinese made filter that looks to be very well made) Unlike Walmart, our CT stores also carry the Fram Extended Guards.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Our CT stores in Ontario are different, they do carry Frams but they also carry K&N, Quaker State, Bosch, and the Motomaster brand (which as posted on here is no longer from Fram, but it's a Chinese made filter that looks to be very well made) Unlike Walmart, our CT stores also carry the Fram Extended Guards.

I believe our CT stores carry much of what you described, too. They don't carry the Bosch here; have to go to PartSource (or online) for that.

I tend to believe those that say that Fram's bad reputation is a little overblown. That being said, their price point here is way too high. When a Fram PH8A costs more than the Wix equivalent, there's a problem.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I tend to believe those that say that Fram's bad reputation is a little overblown. That being said, their price point here is way too high. When a Fram PH8A costs more than the Wix equivalent, there's a problem.
As they are here. At Advance and Auto Zone the PH8A is $3.99. The equivalent L30001 Classic is $3.49 at Advance, maybe slightly less at Kmart, and it has a better rated efficiency. And, for ~$.75 more one could get a Pure One at Amazon by buying 6 or just add a couple to an order over $25 with free shipping.

Not as bad as Canada, but high relatively speaking. Honeywell has to pay to keep that advertising and marketing machine cranking it out. If there is an oil filter manufacturer that spends more on advertising and marketing than Fram/Honeywell, I'd like to know about it.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Not as bad as Canada, but high relatively speaking. Honeywell has to pay to keep that advertising and marketing machine cranking it out. If there is an oil filter manufacturer that spends more on advertising and marketing than Fram/Honeywell, I'd like to know about it.

You're not kidding. I sent an email to Purolator (actually it went to Bosch in Germany, apparently) to find out who sells Pure Ones here now. I'm afraid to ask about Distance Plus availability in Canada.

With respect to Amazon, amazon.ca sells no automotive stuff. Amazon.com will ship certain things to Canada, but I tried to order oil filters, and they won't ship them to Canada. Are they afraid of offending Fram?

Honeywell has to pay to keep that advertising and marketing machine cranking it out. If there is an oil filter manufacturer that spends more on advertising and marketing than Fram/Honeywell, I'd like to know about it.

Yes, Fram helps support our news and entertainment. The only laughts we get from Purolator are posts on the internet.

Originally Posted By: labman
Yes, Fram helps support our news and entertainment. The only laughts we get from Purolator are posts on the internet.

That's true. Interestingly enough, and I'm sure you'll enjoy this, when I emailed Purolator about the availability of a local supplier for PureOnes, the initial response came from someone at Bosch in Germany, with me as a CC, delegating it to someone in Canada.

I'd be quite content to order a good old Made in the USA oil filter, particularly at the prices for which Amazon sells them. Even with shipping, I could occasionally come out ahead. As it stands, however, that is not to be.

With all the farming and trucking that goes on in this neck of the woods, you wouldn't think I'd get strange looks asking for a Stratapore in the FL1A equivalent, either. But, that's what happened.

Maybe I should try another Fram. While Champ and Purolator have less media than in the past, maybe Fram has as much or more. Still tough to evaluate the quality.

Not even close.........the fram I cut open for my car,PH5 had 34 pleats, as compared to the purolators 64. The ST5 had 56 pleats.

I am not afraid to run a fram though, as i am right now, but thats because it was given to me with the car.

Honeywell has to pay to keep that advertising and marketing machine cranking it out. If there is an oil filter manufacturer that spends more on advertising and marketing than Fram/Honeywell, I'd like to know about it.

I'm glad you like laughing with yourself.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: JT1
Quote:
Maybe I should try another Fram. While Champ and Purolator have less media than in the past, maybe Fram has as much or more.

Not even close.........the fram I cut open for my car,PH5 had 34 pleats, as compared to the purolators 64. The ST5 had 56 pleats
Come now, don't let the facts spoil a good story.
48.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back