FRAM EXTRA GUARD 4967 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter and some ST Synthetic 0w20 was in and on a 2018 Toyota Camry with v-6 engine. Oil and filter had 5,990 miles exact on them. Put M1 0w16 he supplied and a WIX WL-10332 I will include pic of. Have one of those I'll c&p tomorrow as well
wink.gif

Off old bosses vehicle by the way
wink.gif

20190413_172744.jpg

20190413_172831.jpg

20190413_172749.jpg

20190413_172850.jpg

20190413_172857.jpg

20190413_172907.jpg

20190413_172929.jpg

20190413_173033.jpg

Originally Posted by MrQuackers
Made in the Summer of 2018, probably just before the ADBV upgrade

Thanks for this info sir
wink.gif

Typical, almost edible looking eg media. Like a chocolate covered snack. Looks so fragile.
Ever try squeezing the whole media (center tube and all) with your hand. My experience is I was able to crush the whole thing with my 1 hand.they seem to hold together somehow. I guess they figured out how to use the cheapest material possible and make it hold up well enough to not tear or collapse in use. Pretty amazing! Kinda like the junior high science experiment where you take toilet paper rolls and a raw egg and a little bit of tape and find a way to arrange it all together to drop from 2 stories with out the egg breaking.

Slacktide, why mess with tiny filters? Stick an XG3600/ Wix 51615 on it!
smile.gif

Pinoak, unless your engine operates differently than mine, I'm not sure where removing the canister from a spin-on filter and then crushing the element by hand is relevant to anything related to normal use. Your hand presents a much different pressure profile against the filter media than a liquid does, even cold oil.

Between dome-end bypass valves being inferior, filter media being crushed by bare hand, and wide pleat spacing annoying the blank out of you, it's amazing that car manufacturers can keep up supply since junkyards are filling up so fast with cars destroyed by faulty oil filters!

Nice work Adam! My Impreza had a 57712 on it, and other than thread pitch, I think this is the same size filter. Pretty sad you get a filter that tiny on a car, when a Craftsman riding lawnmower with a 17HP Kohler engine gets essentially an FL920S!

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Will a taller 4386/57145 fit?
smile.gif

From having these at work, a 4386 is too long. The WIX I showed pic of and 4967 fit fine
smile.gif

This must be off a 2018 Camry 2.5L four cylinder, V6 still shows the Toyota Rube Goldbergian cartridge application. I have no idea if longer 4386 works. That aside, if I'm changing the filter for someone else's vehicle and it's still under warranty, it's only getting the spec filter, period. If my own vehicle, then perhaps the longer goes on if possible, but that's me assuming any risk.

Looks like filter got the job done for ~6k miles. Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Slacktide, why mess with tiny filters? Stick an XG3600/ Wix 51615 on it!
smile.gif

Pinoak, unless your engine operates differently than mine, I'm not sure where removing the canister from a spin-on filter and then crushing the element by hand is relevant to anything related to normal use. Your hand presents a much different pressure profile against the filter media than a liquid does, even cold oil.

Between dome-end bypass valves being inferior, filter media being crushed by bare hand, and wide pleat spacing annoying the blank out of you, it's amazing that car manufacturers can keep up supply since junkyards are filling up so fast with cars destroyed by faulty oil filters!

Lol, hits a nerve with you?
Just sharing my observations and experiences.
The junkyards aint filled up do to use of any other filters either so what is your point. Unless you don't criticize any of them I'd say there's a double standard with your reasoning here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back