FRAM EXTRA GUARD 10575 CUT OPEN

That engine is packing some high oil pressure-way too high for that filter to handle! No wonder GM was recommending the UPF ones in the 3.6! Thanks for that one, Adam, I’ll avoid the Extra Guard in newer high oil pressure GM applications from now on, hope the Pennzoil (Purolator Classic) can handle it…

Oh my word I just put one of these on my wife’s Edge two weeks ago for a planned 10k OCI. 😱😱😱

I may have to change it out not sure I can leave it after seeing this one. 🤷‍♂️

Oh my word I just put one of these on my wife’s Edge two weeks ago for a planned 10k OCI. 😱😱😱

The one posted here was made over a year ago (made on the 165th day of 2022) ... so who knows if it was a short period of bad manufacturing. Lots of EG C&Ps have looked way better than this one.

1689734236846.png

I understand this one came off a GM product. I found a couple more cut/posts after I looked at this one that came off Ford products and they were fine so I’m going to go with that la la la la. 😛

Of course looking on Bob before I used it would have been an idea. 🤣

As much of a Fram fan boy as I is; I’d expect a little more from a Extra Guard. That’s just me.

BUT; with Fram cheapening the ULTRA, how do we know they aren’t cheapening the extra guard and tough guard?
Yep. Personally would not put them on my lawn mower - if folks don’t want to pay $12 for a good filter - just get a SuperTech …

Yep. Personally would not put them on my lawn mower - if folks don’t want to pay $12 for a good filter - just get a SuperTech …
Sad thing is, I haven't seen an orange can that bad since the bad old days of the PH16 Jeep (etc.) ones. This application REALLY likes an Ecore if you're going cheap!

Reactions: 4WD

Maybe just change it at 5k with a cheap supertech. Then stick with champion labs for low cost filters. They always hold up perfectly for me.
Supposedly the extra guards are going to a champion labs style. So some area saying anyway.

A missing piece of the puzzle is how was the car driven. Could rapid accelerations after starting a cold engine in winter cause this pleat widening?

A missing piece of the puzzle is how was the car driven. Could rapid accelerations after starting a cold engine in winter cause this pleat widening?
They don't get folded over like that unless they are pretty wide to start with off the assembly line. Yes, cold thick out at high engine revs means up to bypass PSI across the media which will bend over and possibly tear the media on overly wide pleats.

This. Rawhiding any engine with high RPM blasts using any run of the mill oil filter can result in the same. More the driver than the vehicle or filter in my opinion. Just because an engine will rev hard doesn’t mean it should. They ain’t race engines.

This. Rawhiding any engine with high RPM blasts using any run of the mill oil filter can result in the same. More the driver than the vehicle or filter in my opinion. Just because an engine will rev hard doesn’t mean it should. They ain’t race engines.
Hi PontiacHO,
Your comment reminds me of a neighbor who drove her GM conversion van like an Indy race car. One can only imagine the havoc she created with the engine, brakes, suspension and drive train. We always knew when she was leaving her home and coming come!

BTW, what is Rawhiding? :oops: I'm familiar with the TV program Rawhide from the early 60's but not its use for vehicle operation! :)

BTW, what is Rawhiding? :oops: I'm familiar with the TV program Rawhide from the early 60's but not its use for vehicle
If you understood the context of the comment then I’m sure you can figure it out. Not every word on this forum should be in your dictionary.

If you understood the context of the comment then I’m sure you can figure it out. Not every word on this forum should be in your dictionary.
I was trying to find out if this was a local expression from perhaps your area or something used on BITOG. I had never heard this expression before. I get it.

I was trying to find out if this was a local expression from perhaps your area or something used on BITOG. I had never heard this expression before. I get it.

It's something us old codgers might say. You don't hear it much anymore, but it certainly is not BITOG specific and not "local". I suppose it could be regional to the south

Technically speaking, if an oil filter is designed and made well it should be able to take some "rawhiding" (ie, abuse) if it's built to take the bypass PSI without damage. That is one goal of the design criteria of an oil filter. As seen in some C&Ps, some don't meet that design criteria. An ideal design on paper and how the manufacturing process meets the design drawing criteria are two different processes that need to align for a successful product to happen ... that goes for anything made by humans, lol.

Back