Fram Extended Guard *cut open* (unused)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
The XG is a good filter. The PureOne is a good filter ..pick your filter.

I'll say that the XG is overbuilt for the task. You do get what you pay for over the cost of a PureOne in terms of construction. It's construction is up there with the EaO and what most filter manufacturers produce for Euro's that spec relatively high bypass valve settings.

Either will be fine for up to 15k if 15k is done in a timely manner (like one year). The XG may not have the same holding capacity as the PureOne, but probably doesn't need it as long as it doesn't filter to the same level. It's "curve" will track about the same (probably).

Gary, are you talking about the Purolator PureONE or the Mobil M1? PureONEs are not marketed (or designed, from what I can tell) to be a long-OCI filter. Where are you seeing anything that suggests that a PureONE has a large holding capacity? It certainly isn't anything close to the Fram's advertised 10,000 mile change interval. The Purolator-made Bosch DistancePlus is up there, but not the PureONE.

Okay ..let me see if I can say this in an understandable manner (I'm not always good at this).

A filter lives over a "curve". Any filter can make somewhere in the 12k+ range if the hollow miles are abundant enough. They're mostly "clean" hollow miles. Essentially (for the most part) it comes down to the number of cold starts that are in fuel enrichment. This is what produces the majority of your filters "dirt" that it accumulates.

Now given the radical difference in OCI's that someone can see with, for example, a GM OLM ..with merely any and all filters that "meet or exceed OEM spec's" ..one can figure how the filter life and oil life can be radically different since they fatigue along different curves.

Let's go before the OLM. GM (and others) had an "every other OCI" filter spec if mileage was used in their 7500/6month maintenance intervals. Here the oil would "on average" in the fudge factoring required to fit the most users ..require changing ..but the filter would not. They knew that most of those miles ..for someone driving 15k/year ..were warmed up miles devoid of fuel enrichment states that load the filter.

Hence ..I have to conclude that EVERY filter that meets or exceeds OEM spec's will endure most daily driving scenarios over a (near+/-) 15k interval IF (BIG IF) the 15k is done in a daily driving manner with some time termination of around ONE YEAR.

Further, if you get away from the marketing hype about flow and efficiency ..you are looking at a given holding capacity over a given efficiency level. This "curve" that's formed MUST "meet or exceed" OEM spec's. Therefore, if a given filter has a higher efficiency, it also has to have a higher holding capacity to pass the endurance spec's put forth by the OEM.

Take the EaO, it's marketed and designed to be a 25k/ONE YEAR filter. PureOne's/M1/RP are 15k/ONE YEAR filters. Amsoil failed to cover all services and engines with a couple of their EaO's and the alternatives that they offer (for those models) are strictly footnoted for limitations.

Are you getting my drift here? Fine filtering is mostly marketing. All of them have to pass the same durability tests ..which is very long my our typical BITOG standard.

I hope I made sense here.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
From Purolator's website. Not real clear on what they are trying to say here for OCIs.

PureOne filters are advertised to hold 13 grams of debris ... so could probably get an idea from that spec.

Indeed. It looks like they are trying to say it is their 'severe duty' or 'severe use' or whatever filter, which is fine since that's more or less accurate, I guess. But those 15k/year checkboxes are pretty much meaningless, bordering on intentionally deceptive.

The Bosch DistancePlus does not advertise any suggested mileage duration like the Xtra Guard does, but going by their claims of 30g of holding capacity vs. the PureONE's 13g with arguably the same 99.9% efficiency, and since an extended OCI is generally thought of being maybe 10k-12k, then the PureONE falls into where I always thought it should be: a great filter for normal OCIs. I don't know why it has a reputation here as being Purolator's answer for extended OCIs...?

I do admit that it's a difficult concept to grasp. Once you crack the nut, it all becomes very clear and devoid of the things that distract you from seeing it.

From Purolator's website. Not real clear on what they are trying to say here for OCIs.

PureOne filters are advertised to hold 13 grams of debris ... so could probably get an idea from that spec.

"Which Purolator oil filter best fits your driving style - Purolator Classic or Purolator PureONE? Check out the chart below:"
PurolatorOilChart.jpg

the extended guard can hold up to 26g but thats because its designed for long oci witch the pureone isnt

PureOne's/M1/RP are 15k/ONE YEAR filters.

I dont think that the pureone is designed for a 15k oci or anything close to that, the extended guard is designed for a 10k oci and it holds double what the pureone holds(26g) plus it is more structurally solid

Indeed. It looks like they are trying to say it is their 'severe duty' or 'severe use' or whatever filter, which is fine since that's more or less accurate, I guess. But those 15k/year checkboxes are pretty much meaningless, bordering on intentionally deceptive.

The Bosch DistancePlus does not advertise any suggested mileage duration like the Xtra Guard does, but going by their claims of 30g of holding capacity vs. the PureONE's 13g with arguably the same 99.9% efficiency, and since an extended OCI is generally thought of being maybe 10k-12k, then the PureONE falls into where I always thought it should be: a great filter for normal OCIs. I don't know why it has a reputation here as being Purolator's answer for extended OCIs...?

Originally Posted By: trabuccomlfrd

I dont think that the pureone is designed for a 15k oci or anything close to that, the extended guard is designed for a 10k oci and it holds double what the pureone holds(26g) plus it is more structurally solid

Here is more info on Purolator's website. They are doing a CYA with this statement.

"Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/pureoneoilfilters.aspx

The XG is a good filter. The PureOne is a good filter ..pick your filter.

I'll say that the XG is overbuilt for the task. You do get what you pay for over the cost of a PureOne in terms of construction. It's construction is up there with the EaO and what most filter manufacturers produce for Euro's that spec relatively high bypass valve settings.

Either will be fine for up to 15k if 15k is done in a timely manner (like one year). The XG may not have the same holding capacity as the PureOne, but probably doesn't need it as long as it doesn't filter to the same level. It's "curve" will track about the same (probably).

Gary, are you talking about the Purolator PureONE or the Mobil M1? PureONEs are not marketed (or designed, from what I can tell) to be a long-OCI filter. Where are you seeing anything that suggests that a PureONE has a large holding capacity? It certainly isn't anything close to the Fram's advertised 10,000 mile change interval. The Purolator-made Bosch DistancePlus is up there, but not the PureONE.

Okay ..let me see if I can say this in an understandable manner (I'm not always good at this).

A filter lives over a "curve". Any filter can make somewhere in the 12k+ range if the hollow miles are abundant enough. They're mostly "clean" hollow miles. Essentially (for the most part) it comes down to the number of cold starts that are in fuel enrichment. This is what produces the majority of your filters "dirt" that it accumulates.

Now given the radical difference in OCI's that someone can see with, for example, a GM OLM ..with merely any and all filters that "meet or exceed OEM spec's" ..one can figure how the filter life and oil life can be radically different since they fatigue along different curves.

Let's go before the OLM. GM (and others) had an "every other OCI" filter spec if mileage was used in their 7500/6month maintenance intervals. Here the oil would "on average" in the fudge factoring required to fit the most users ..require changing ..but the filter would not. They knew that most of those miles ..for someone driving 15k/year ..were warmed up miles devoid of fuel enrichment states that load the filter.

Hence ..I have to conclude that EVERY filter that meets or exceeds OEM spec's will endure most daily driving scenarios over a (near+/-) 15k interval IF (BIG IF) the 15k is done in a daily driving manner with some time termination of around ONE YEAR.

Further, if you get away from the marketing hype about flow and efficiency ..you are looking at a given holding capacity over a given efficiency level. This "curve" that's formed MUST "meet or exceed" OEM spec's. Therefore, if a given filter has a higher efficiency, it also has to have a higher holding capacity to pass the endurance spec's put forth by the OEM.

Take the EaO, it's marketed and designed to be a 25k/ONE YEAR filter. PureOne's/M1/RP are 15k/ONE YEAR filters. Amsoil failed to cover all services and engines with a couple of their EaO's and the alternatives that they offer (for those models) are strictly footnoted for limitations.

Are you getting my drift here? Fine filtering is mostly marketing. All of them have to pass the same durability tests ..which is very long my our typical BITOG standard.

I hope I made sense here.

if what you are saying is the case then it sounds like the extended guard could do a 30k oci since it holds double what the pure one holds.

PureOne's/M1/RP are 15k/ONE YEAR filters.

The Xtended Guard is marketed as a 10k filter. It would be a real waste to put all that dandy construction to use for a mere 10k. Now since they're (probably) relying on the same disposition that many here have ..that being "will xxyyyzz filter last for 10k?" ..then the average consumer may just use that for ONE YEAR since they really don't understand filter loading.

Hey, don't read anything I did in attempting to explain things. People tend to like to cling to their paradigms ..their personal schools of thought. I'm fine with that.

Meanwhile, the owner of a formerly 7500/6month GM doing 15k a year could change the filter every other time ..who is now getting told to change his common over the counter conventional ..with the absolute cheapest filter that lists "meets or exceeds OEM spec's" ..at a whopping 12k+ ...
21.gif

Is anything I say lighting any bulbs here?
54.gif

if what you are saying is the case then it sounds like the extended guard could do a 30k oci since it holds double what the pure one holds.

It's not that one dimensional. Not every filter out there with the XG label has 28gms of holding capacity. That's a cherry picked example. Otherwise, the XG3614 would be just as good as a XG8a.

...but let's give a "what if". If you're doing 30k in ONE YEAR ..and the filter you're using has 2x or 3x the holding capacity of the OEM filter ..and the OEM filter, as used in accordance to the OEM recommendations of "every other" OCI on a 15k/annual schedule ..AND the efficiency level is LOW enough to not just trap an additional 14gms of stuff no one cares about (too small to bother with given the oil's detergent/dispersant package)

..then ..YES (other terms and conditions may apply to make this not possible)

This is why, generally speaking, going larger than OEM, while surely having no downside, gives you virtually nothing if you aren't using it for a longer OCI.

After reading this thread, some of you are saying XG is better some are saying P1 is better. They are both very close to each other ,pick one and move on.

...i have a pureone ... and it doesnt use an adbv.

This is news to me, as I thought all PureOnes had silicone ADBVs? Which model does not please share your experience.

I don't know about Purolator ..in the PureOne line, but there are Chevy apps that have no OEM spec'd ADBV ..and pre 2007 ..no bypass. They've mostly been replaced with ADBV numbers to reduce inventory. They were spec'd for vertical mounting.

Should we be wondering how much "dirt" a filter filters out in a broken in X brand 6 cyl engine with a good air filter and sealed plumbing?

Originally Posted By: KurtJ
...i have a pureone ... and it doesnt use an adbv.

This is news to me, as I thought all PureOnes had silicone ADBVs? Which model does not please share your experience.

the pl14460 that i just bought and cut open doesnt have one, and on the box where they give a diagram of the filter it talks about the adbv and after that it says "if applicable"

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
After reading this thread, some of you are saying XG is better some are saying P1 is better. They are both very close to each other ,pick one and move on.

they arent that close, purolator markets the p1 as a 3,000mi oci filter, and the xg is a 10,000mi oci filter, we both know that they both could do probably do 5,000mi more than what they are "supposed" to do.

Quote:
they arent that close, purolator markets the p1 as a 3,000mi oci filter,

With all due respect, this is just so wrong. I don't know how you could see the image shown and morph that into "marketed as a 3000 mile filter".

It's clearly marketed as a 15k filter. For 3000 miles it would be a waste to buy it.

That said, I'd use the XG for the same 15k (more maybe).

For ONLY 10k (assuming that 10k is done in less than a year) paying for an XG is a waste, imo. The thing is way over built for something that any filter can do if the mileage is "long" enough.

Quote:
they arent that close, purolator markets the p1 as a 3,000mi oci filter,

With all due respect, this is just so wrong. I don't know how you could see the image shown and morph that into "marketed as a 3000 mile filter".

It's clearly marketed as a 15k filter. For 3000 miles it would be a waste to buy it.

You must have missed this post on the previous page:

Here is more info on Purolator's website. They are doing a CYA with this statement.

"Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/pureoneoilfilters.aspx

I'm sure the PureOne could easily go way more than 3000 miles in a clean engine (probably near 10K) ... but realize that Purolator is CYA-ing themselves for the worst conditions and trying to sell more filters to boot.

The Yellow P1 is capable of what ever your manufacture OCI recomendation is,Soooo....3,000 or 30,000 it'll work!

Quote:
the pl14460 that i just bought and cut open doesnt have one, and on the box where they give a diagram of the filter it talks about the adbv and after that it says "if applicable"

Yes, it appears that is one of the very rare applications that doesn't have an adbv. That particular filter also has a higher than average Puro bypass setting (20-25 psi). Based on it's lising of where it fits, it's all Subaru. I would imagine that those applications are verticle, thread end up. Here is an example of one being used in an WRX STi, note the filter orientation. However, designed no adbv filter apps is definitely an exception, not the rule.

As for the Pure One OCI, IMO 7.5-10k is doable, if done in 1year. For me, if I were to buy the Bosch DP, I would not have an issue using it 12-15k if done in a 1 year time frame. That said, I don't run that long an OCI, so the BDP is not cost effective for me. P1 and Classic work better for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back