FRAM Extended Guard Cut Open (DURAMAX Use)

Status
Not open for further replies.
WEll, here is teh long awaited XG9100 cut open off of my Dmax. It has 7500 miles on it and was a BIYATCH to cut open. It seems to be very stout and well amde filter. Would I use it again? I am not sure. It was only $8 and easy to find at Wal Mart, but a REAL pain to remove from my truck. I have never had any filter be that hard to get off, and I do not tighten them to unreasonable torque. I replaced it with a Mobile 1 for $12.99, though I am not convinced that $5 more would provide that much more protection. Anyhoo, look, enjoy, and give opinions. Please refrain from FRAM bashing. There is enough of that on BITOG already. No, I do not care or have thin skin, I just don't really want to have to skip posts to see real world input vs. bashing that gets us nowhere.

http://tinypic.com/1r52cqr4

Click on the above and the pics are there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a very well made filter that held up well!

Thanks for posting...
grin2.gif

Fram Extended Guards are excellent filters, very solidly made.

Up here, they are regularly $12.99 apiece, so, IMO, unless you are running a REALLY extended OCI, they're not worth it.

The $8 you paid for this one will buy us a Fram 'Toughguard' filter up here...

thanks for the effort! it does, gulp, look like a good filter. altho I dont understand why it was hard to remove. I presume that you oiled the gasket before installing? maybe the same vandal that poked a hole in StevieC's dad's fram filter stopped by your house and torqued it on!!!

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
thanks for the effort! it does, gulp, look like a good filter. altho I dont understand why it was hard to remove. I presume that you oiled the gasket before installing? maybe the same vandal that poked a hole in StevieC's dad's fram filter stopped by your house and torqued it on!!!

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
Yeah that vandal sure gets around fast. What an a-hole...but seriously, that thing was tight as a mo fo!! And yes, I did oil the gasket...always do. I have a filter cap wrench or getting it off and it just kept sliding so I had to go to the chain wrench and that got it off after 10 minutes of hanging off the darn thing.

I hear ya. I wouldn't pay more than $8 for it either. My whole point with this filter was that it was good for the money due to the heavy duty construction and performance. I'll be sticking with Pure One or Mobil 1 filters from now on. At least I think I will anyways.....
29.gif

It looks well constructed to me. Is that a 2 stage filtering media? Did they put cloth over the paper media as to filter large particles then small particles?

If you want to shop around there is always NAPA Gold. They are a little under 8 bucks here. I think you can get them cheaper if you shop at Fleet Filter, a site sponsor.

I haven't used them, but have really considered it.

It makes me wanna run over to walmart and buy a bunch! of course, I would be afraid that my pic might show up on www.thepeopleofwalmart.com

also, for our Canadian bretherin: I would be happy to fill up the back of the truck with oil and filters on my next trip up there! gee, do you think they would have a problem with it at the border crossing?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
That's only because we get "Bent Over" on everything up here...
frown.gif

Prices notwithstanding, I'm curious to know what filters are readily available on the shelves up there? Seems like theres a few we get everywhere down here that are hard to find in Canada. True?

Here is what readily available in most stores...

FRAM (Part Source, Walmart)
MotoMaster (Canadian Tire)
Quaker State (Canadian Tire)
K&N (Part Source)

(Part Source is owned by Canadian Tire)

That's pretty much it for easy to get...

We can get Wix & Napa filters too just not as easily as Walmart/Canadian tire stores filter lineup...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jdblya
the one end cap looks a little weird, but over all looks pretty good

Is this the one end cap that looks weird? IMG]http://i26.tinypic.com/znq0s6.jpg[/IMG]

If it is what you are talking about, the end cap is simliar to an end cap of an Amsoil filter.

K&N (Part Source)

Wow.
That is a short list. I can see why you order yours.
(P.S. Got me a couple EaO's coming from Gary after seeing your posts on those.
10.gif
)

Originally Posted By: river_rat

K&N (Part Source)

Wow.
That is a short list. I can see why you order yours.
(P.S. Got me a couple EaO's coming from Gary after seeing your posts on those.
10.gif
)

Yup not much to choose from unless you specially order or go to the US and stock up from AZ/PB/AA.

I really really like the EAO's. Their build quality and the excellent "filtration" that they seem to offer. I have run tests with a standard filter and an EAO filter with the same oil a couple of times and the UOA's show the difference. So I know they are very efficient.

M1 & Pure-one are excellent filters, but almost impossible to source up here and too expensive when sourced up here. Unless you head south of the border and stock up, EAO is the way to go IMO.

We can also get NAPA Golds and Carquest Premiums quite easily up here, as there are a lot of locations of both of those in Canada. But they have raised their prices quite a bit on those filters in the past couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back