Fram cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally got ahold of my mom's van to change her oil. It had been about seven months and three or four thousand miles.

It has some issues so tell me what you think.

Disreguard the motorcraft box, that's just what replaced the fram.

SSPX0171.jpg

The media is definately wavey but still intact.

SSPX0172.jpg

The ADBV is definately distorted.

SSPX0174.jpg

Here shows the holes exposed with it sitting as flush and centered as I could get it.

SSPX0179.jpg

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
How does the ADBV look if you put the oil filter on it? Does it change it at all?

I tried but it's hard to tell what it would actually look like put together. Because if you think about, with it being compressed together inside the can with the the relief valve but take into account that the cardboard ends are soft and bent? I
21.gif

I heard the FRAM Tough Guard is a better made filter with a silicone ADBV and glass filter media.

welcome2.gif
tomcat

I believe I have heard similar reports on the toughguard also, but I haven't looked lately.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
Looks like your typical cheaply made, second rate oil filter..
21.gif

No glass media.

Originally Posted By: cornfused
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
How does the ADBV look if you put the oil filter on it? Does it change it at all?

I tried but it's hard to tell what it would actually look like put together. Because if you think about, with it being compressed together inside the can with the the relief valve but take into account that the cardboard ends are soft and bent? I
21.gif

I didn't think anything would change if you just sat the oil filter on it, just curious.

Again, it's not a bad filter if it was free, the media looks intact, no holes or tears, not the best choice if you have to pay retail price for it. I think the tough guard would be a bit better because of the silicone adbv. I recently bought some tough guard filters because they were on clearance for under 4 bucks, usually they sell for around 8 bucks. I would never buy them at their full price. I have a 3rd generation caravan with a 3.0L mitsubishi engine and planning to put the oversized TG8A filter on it the next time I change the oil. Hopefully there will be enough clearance and it won't touch the lower rad hose. Anyone here tried the oversized filter on the caravan with the same engine? Is there enough clearance for it to not touch the rad hose?

I wouldn't use a spin on Fram if it was free. Seriously, I'd spend $2.88 and get a real filter even for a beater.

For a beater I wouldn't really care, as the media was still intact which is the main thing I guess. This filter came off of my mothers van and was not installed by me. So after reading about them on here and seeing the ADBV deformed for myself it will be getting Motorcraft/Motorcraft for the rest of it's life.
55.gif

I also recently took a fram off of my truck but it was too destroyed to worry about opening it up. But that will be the last one cause I will use a silicone ADBV from now on. Although I was happy that the media held up after that length of time which is a long time for me.

Right now on my 2003 Honda CRV I have a FRAM Extended Guard XG7317 that has metal end caps that I will remove after 5,000 miles. I have used them before along with the Tough Guard TG7317 and have had no problems. Honda's OEM filter is made by Honeywell and is very similiar to the Tough Guard with more filter media but without the metal screen on top of the ADBV.

The picture of the toughguard that turboluver posted looks like it would be an acceptable filter, but would cost way too much for me to be interested in it. The extended guard though I don't know, does it have a silicone ADBV?

The picture of that Tough Guard looks like the type that was made around 2003 or earlier that came with the orange colored gasket. All of the newer FRAMs have a black one.

Good choice on the Motorcraft. When Wal-Mart has Motorcraft right there on the shelf why put the Fram in your cart instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back