Fram CH9772 5k Miles; 2012 RAV4 2.5L

5K run with Havoline 5-30 blend. Last jug of that oil. Future will likely be ST 5-30 synthetic. Just like the car, the filter is pretty vanilla. Kinda weird not having to cut open a can!

Also thinking of using a "better" filter like a Fram Ultra and running 2 OCI's of 5-6k each on the filter. Cost is equal: Amazon Subscribe and save Ultra is $9.32 and Extra Guard is $4.79 ($9.58 for 2 oil changes). Thoughts?

Fram CH9772 1.jpg
Fram CH9972 2.jpg

Change oil/filter together as recommended by your manufacturer.

Ultra isn't full synthetic media anymore. I probably won't ever buy another one again.

Change oil/filter together as recommended by your manufacturer.

Ultra isn't full synthetic media anymore. I probably won't ever buy another one again.
What filter are you using? What vehicle and oci?

What filter are you using? What vehicle and oci?
OCI on 3 Toyotas is 5k miles, usually yearly. 2GRFE filter cartridges are the WixXp/NapaPlatinums on 2, and whatever clearance 3600 sized screw with silicone adbv on 2azfe. Hodgepodge of 30 and 40 grades since all are quieter with more viscosity.

OCI on VW is 5k miles. Filter same size as Toyota. Last run('cause of warranty repairs and recall) was an MH wire backed synth media(ph3614 sized) and now with a BoschDistancePlus(whatever matches the 3600 size). Obviously 508 oil but 1st quart is a3/b4 5w40 or 0w40 as I grabbed couple jugs of both on clearance and use it with the Toyotas too. Interval depends but commute changed from 10 miles 1-way to 120miles 1-way.... so maybe every 5 weeks. I'll have to rotate in the other cars to avoid rocketing odometer.

OCI on Kia 2.4GDI gen2 theta2 is 3750 miles. Out with Supertech 20k and in with the Napa Platinum. Oil is any with hths >3.5. Out with Mobil1 Euro 5w40 summer oil and in with the winter weight Pennzoil 5w30 EuroL. 3 changes a year now.

OCI on lawntractor is yearly. I haven't looked at the Hobb's meter in years. Out with a WixXP in with a new VW MH filter. Oil is 0w40 Castrol/Mobil1.

5K run with Havoline 5-30 blend. Last jug of that oil. Future will likely be ST 5-30 synthetic. Just like the car, the filter is pretty vanilla. Kinda weird not having to cut open a can!

Also thinking of using a "better" filter like a Fram Ultra and running 2 OCI's of 5-6k each on the filter. Cost is equal: Amazon Subscribe and save Ultra is $9.32 and Extra Guard is $4.79 ($9.58 for 2 oil changes). Thoughts?

View attachment 124368View attachment 124369
That filter looks perfect to me. You could just keep using the extra guard for 2 5k mile ocis. I don’t see a reason to spend more on an ultra.

Back