Fram @ 14K miles - cut open (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJC

Pics from 23k km's (14,300 mile) Fram on a 1988 Honda Accord. >95% of trips >10 miles; filter duration ~1 1/2yrs and added oil ... well >5L
smirk2.gif
. It's a re-badged Fram from Canadian Tire, explaining the white can.

The end cap glue was still intact and not showing any signs of delaminating/weakening. No tears in the media either. I didn't take the ADBV out, but it seemed intact although filter was a bit light. This is a small filter and some oil came out so not sure if ADBV was working. Screwdriver pic at end is a swipe through one of the pleats - official postmortem filter testing.
grin2.gif

img_4011.jpg

img_4012.jpg

img_4013.jpg

img_4015.jpg

img_4018.jpg

img_4019.jpg

img_4020.jpg

Nasty looking. Makes me feel better about my 2 year old Amsoil filter on my car with 12,000 miles though.

The filter seems to hold contaminants well, the nasty looking is the oil that passed its times and it starts to form sludge. I think this particular is in needed of a treatment of A-RX.

I do 20K mile (1 year and 70% highway miles) oil filter changes on both our Hondas using the oversized L-24458 filter.
but I do 7K, 7K and 6K oil changes.

Next time I will cut it open and post pictures.

I run Esso 10w30, and oil change interval was 12k and 11k kms. I did a logbook tally and makeup was 7.5l - even so, the oil was as black as night. LT4Vette - the media was black but otherwise OK. The screwdriver tip pic is after dredging the bottom of one of the pleats, so not too bad.

Carzzz - I bought the car for $250 a few yrs and it's had a rough life so it made for a perfect guinea pig. I was curious to see what would happen to a filter (and a Fram at that!) run to a long interval.

I had an 86 Accord, same body style, same engine, that had 258,000 miles on it and never burned a drop of oil. 3K Oci's, switched back and forth between M1, Valvoline, GTX and weights anywhere from 5w30 to 20w50.

I got it in 1990 and it already had 116,384 miles on it when I drove it off the lot, I had it for 7 more years. I sold it to a little old lady for $800 and continued to see it running around town for several years after that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NJC
I run Esso 10w30, and oil change interval was 12k and 11k kms. I did a logbook tally and makeup was 7.5l - even so, the oil was as black as night. LT4Vette - the media was black but otherwise OK. The screwdriver tip pic is after dredging the bottom of one of the pleats, so not too bad.

Carzzz - I bought the car for $250 a few yrs and it's had a rough life so it made for a perfect guinea pig. I was curious to see what would happen to a filter (and a Fram at that!) run to a long interval.

DUDE! My M1 at 10 or 12K has never been THAT black! Dear LORD!

Makes me feel a lot better about the 10K oil I just drained from the Expy. 1L of makeup oil in the OCI.

How many miles on the vehicle?

I was going to say this looks like it was used in a diesel!LOL. Man that is some nasty lookin oil my friend. Cool experiment though.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
How many miles on the vehicle?

271k kms with the A20A1 (carb) engine. It should last for 500k, but not with oil like that. The oil is WAY blacker than it should be ... almost as though it's running cold. Thermostat appears functional though.

Yeah, because my Lincoln's oil is no where NEAR that black, and it has 338,000Km on it, 12,000Km OCI's.

I'd be curious as to whether a run of M1 0w40 would clean it out a bit, maybe a run with it, with a filter change in the middle of the run, using something like a PureONE..?

Before spewing any vomitous material, note the car used 13l of oil over 14k miles - or equivalent to ~5k miles changes. Because it was always getting fresh oil, I wasn't worried about the 7K mile change interval. I was interested to see how the filter managed - and it looks like it held together well.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Yeah, because my Lincoln's oil is no where NEAR that black, and it has 338,000Km on it, 12,000Km OCI's.

I'd be curious as to whether a run of M1 0w40 would clean it out a bit, maybe a run with it, with a filter change in the middle of the run, using something like a PureONE..?

Did you use M1 all that time? Which M1 are you using now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back