Found a place that sells ethanol free fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Kestas
E10 also work great in OPE equipment. I just want to clarify that E0 is recommended where the equipment will be stored for an extended period (like more than a month or so) with the fuel in it. The issue is storage and not so much an operational concern.

Interesting. I've used E10 for more than 30 years without a single fuel related issue, even storing winter equipment over summer and summer equipment over winter. I just pulled my snowplow 2N out from the corner of the shop where it has been sitting since spring to make it ready for winter and it started just fine. I put the DR trimmer away like I've done every year for the 20 years I've had it with E10 in it, and it starts first pull each spring. I used the Stihl leaf blower yesterday, and it started just fine (it's been sitting since early spring with E10/2 cycle oil mix in it). When should I expect to have all these problems that you claim come from storing them more than "a month or so" with E10 fuel in them?

I'm glad you dodged the bullet for this long. You are lucky. I on the other hand have experienced phase separation and seen the horrible damage it causes on my lawnmower and snow thrower. The corrosion nearly perforated the carburetor bowl. The problem is real and not something I made up.

As I have said before, I personally use E-0 in all my OPE, and also use it and recommend it to my customers, BUT, having said that, I have been working on OPE since before E-10 came to be used here in Nebraska, and very seldom, if ever have I been able to point to E-10 causing problems with customers carburators. Sometimes the problems MAY have been caused by the alcohol, but not positive. I just recommend that customers use E-0 since I don't know how they care for or store the equipment.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I on the other hand have experienced phase separation and seen the horrible damage it causes on my lawnmower and snow thrower. The corrosion nearly perforated the carburetor bowl. The problem is real and not something I made up.

Did the fuel have Stabil or a similar product in it?

Originally Posted By: daddi
I did have to replace the fuel lines in two weed wackers and one blower only after a few years of use. The lines were basically crumbling apart.

I wonder if this was due to the ethanol??

I had the same issues with old (pre E10) equipment. The replacement lines are lasting.

I think it has more to do with the material of the fuel line, though I guess ethanol could have contributed to it if the material choice is poor. My HR215 mower has its original fuel line and it's a 2001 model (15 years old). I've used only E10 fuel in it. Honda does use a silicone-like fuel line material, though, which is a decided step up from the low cost rubber that most other manufacturers use.

As someone that made a living at one point fixing power equipment/small engines, yes, PLEASE continue to use E10 fuel. Especially over winter. And definitely without the use of fuel stabilizer.

Ethanol gas is fine for continuous use equipment (mowers in Florida in the summer). It sucks for winter storage or long term storage (pressure washer you use once/twice a year, or a generator)

How cheap does a person have to be, really??!! If its available, an average person can buy ethanol free fuel for about $2-$5 more per year than using the cheap stuff. If that $2-$5 saved per year is really going to kill your budget, you have worse issues.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
...Ethanol gas is fine for continuous use equipment (mowers in Florida in the summer). It sucks for winter storage or long term storage (pressure washer you use once/twice a year, or a generator)...

Based on my experience, I agree.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

How cheap does a person have to be, really??!! If its available, an average person can buy ethanol free fuel for about $2-$5 more per year than using the cheap stuff. If that $2-$5 saved per year is really going to kill your budget, you have worse issues.

I hear you, but many areas haven't had a choice. I live in an area that has sold nothing but E10 for 25-30yrs. The easy availability of E-zero is a recent thing for us. My experience has been, kept in sealed storage containers, E10 lasts a long time. Up to a year. Leaving it in your OPE, especially older equipment with gas cap vents that are open all the time, you are not going to have positive results. Chain saws, string trimmers, etc, with (a functioning) duck bill check valve in the cap can keep E10 fuel for a long time. Again, everyone's experience is going to vary, but any OPE I've brought back to life with gelled up nasty E10 in it, was due to clueless owners who would eventually have problems with anything marginally mechanical.

Here in the south there are quite a number of gas stations that sell 100% gasoline along with the conventional 10% ethanol stuff. A new Shell station recently opened up about 2 miles from my house that has dedicated pumps on the main islands for 100% 87 octane gasoline. A Phillips 66 station a little farther from me has a dedicated pump for 93 octane pure gas right next to the building, away from the island. These places charge roughly 30 to 40 cents per gallon more than the corresponding E10 gas.

Nowadays, I ONLY use 100% pure gas for all my OPE. There are just too many problems with ethanol separation, water absorption, etc. with E10 that simply are not issues with pure gas. I still put PRI-G in all my stored pure gas to act as a preservative, although perhaps it's not necessary. I just like to be on the safe side! My OPE is now noticeably easier to start as well. I use perhaps 5 to 6 gallons per year for all my OPE (one self propelled walk behind mower, one push mower, garden tiller, weedeater, blower, and occasional use of chainsaw and generators), so the tiny bit of extra $$$ for pure gas is well worth it!

Mehh.... only E10 available here for as long as I can remember. Not as big a deal as people make it out to be. People have had OPE fuel issues prior to E10 as well. Nature of OPE, put gas in it and let it sit for months or years on end. Even non-ethanol gas goes bad. Canned alkyl fuels have much longer shelf lifes.

For longer storage I add a little marine Stabil. Haven't had issues running/starting certain low-use stuff even a year later (mostly kept in outdoor, non-climate controlled, sheds).

Usually ethanol is not recommended for use in older vehicles and small engines whose fuel lines/systems are not designed for or tolerant of the alcohol.

Plum: it seems to have taken non-automotive engine builders longer to crack the nut on ethanol. We have a Yamaha marine dealer who pulls off OEM fuel lines and installs Evinrude hose - swears by them.

Buy mid grade E10 and add a little water to it. The water and alcohol drop out very easily.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
^ and?

Are you pouring water in your gas tank...
No I have no problem with E10 in my car. But for small amounts of fuel for OPE it is easily done.

I had a Yamaha outboard for years and tried not to run ethanol in it, always keeping an eye on fuel line deterioration. Good to know about the Evinrude line swap. Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back