Found a place that sells ethanol free fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a station a few miles away that sells ethanol free fuel in 87,89, and 93 octane.

Would this benefit me any to buy this for my OPE?

I have a JD lawn tractor, two lawnboys(two stroke of course), and several two stroke trimmers, blowers etc.

They are maintained well and all run great. And here in south Texas are used pretty much year round.

Any benefit to running them on ethanol free fuel???

Yeah, the Valero station a few miles from my house started selling 0% ethanol 93 octane recently as well. They want like $0.40/gal more for it than E10.

Originally Posted By: JTK
They want like $0.40/gal more for it than E10.

That's still much less expensive than buying it in those cans...

E10 also work great in OPE equipment. I just want to clarify that E0 is recommended where the equipment will be stored for an extended period (like more than a month or so) with the fuel in it. The issue is storage and not so much an operational concern.

Ive never seen the price delta as worth it from an energy or efficiency basis. We have "up to 10%" EtOH here in our fuel, and I run it and keep fuel over the winters... Never any issues. Im sure there's a marginal benefit in stability, but not enough to justify the price delta to me...

Here in Nebraska I use it in all my OPE, and my classic cars. I use the 10% stuff in my 97 Ranger, which uses only about 2 tanks of fuel a year, and in my 2014 ford Fusion.

The fuel I usually use is E10 from Exxon or Sunoco.

As I said they run pretty good on that. Not sure if "pure" gas will make them run any better.

Always seem to find posts or people stating that ethanol fuel is harmful to their OPE.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Shell station in Collinsville, VA just recently dedicated a pump to 93 ethanol free. That's what I buy for all my lawn stuff. I think we are starting to see more of this. I store my stuff all winter and have never had a problem. I'd use it and I think it is worth it. 20 gallons a year???

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
The makers of small equipment say not to use E10.
It is in Echo's owner manuals.
There must be a reason.

Cause its [censored]

I use ethanol free for OPE, I think I use like 10$ in gas for mower and weed eater per year so why not..i guess it costs me 2$ more per year for ethanol free..who knows if it makes a difference or not.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
E10 also work great in OPE equipment. I just want to clarify that E0 is recommended where the equipment will be stored for an extended period (like more than a month or so) with the fuel in it. The issue is storage and not so much an operational concern.

Interesting. I've used E10 for more than 30 years without a single fuel related issue, even storing winter equipment over summer and summer equipment over winter. I just pulled my snowplow 2N out from the corner of the shop where it has been sitting since spring to make it ready for winter and it started just fine. I put the DR trimmer away like I've done every year for the 20 years I've had it with E10 in it, and it starts first pull each spring. I used the Stihl leaf blower yesterday, and it started just fine (it's been sitting since early spring with E10/2 cycle oil mix in it). When should I expect to have all these problems that you claim come from storing them more than "a month or so" with E10 fuel in them?

Never bothered to look for E0 for any application and never had any problems with E10 in my OPEs.
If E0 were 0% more expensive than E10, I'd try it in everything.
Since it's invariably sold at a substantial premium, I wouldn't bother.
If your stuff is running fine on E10, why even worry about it?

I did have to replace the fuel lines in two weed wackers and one blower only after a few years of use. The lines were basically crumbling apart.

I wonder if this was due to the ethanol??

Originally Posted By: daddi
Found a station a few miles away that sells ethanol free fuel in 87,89, and 93 octane...

Where I live, only 92oct is available in ethanol free form, and at a price premium of around 90 cents per gallon. But I still use it in the snowblower and especially the generator, because they may see infrequent use. If I used them every day, I would be fine with 10% ethanol in the gas. But I don't like to put them into year long storage with 10%.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back