"Found" a new oil - Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've jumped the gun a bit on this one - this oil has the EXACT same specs as the 'new' CJ-4/SM version of Esso XD-3 0W-40...so it's most likely just re-packaged for more sales...not a new oil at all....sorry!

ESP products are not good for gasoline engines where gasoline contains ethanol. If people use this in a gasoline engine car just because it's an HDEO... best of luck to them. Hope they remember to change it frequently, especially with that TBN of 7.7...

With the strong synthetic basestock, I have no doubt this oil would do 10-12k in a gasser with ease.....

No, I honestly don't.

A 7-8 TBN group II dino can often do 10k; we've seen that.

The PAO basestock this oil 'most likely' uses will give it some extra stability that means TBn depletion will be slower, so it will most likely last around 9-10k.....

A 7-8 TBN group II dino... presumably designed for gasoline engines, correct? And with how big of a sump?

I would advise against drawing conclusions based on a gut feeling about what the oil is made of.

I don't want to make this an attack on you, by the way. I just don't think this is necessarily a good oil just because of its viscosity grade and the fact that it's an HDEO.

dOOdfOOd,

I ran Chevron Supreme Dino which is Group II+ 9417 miles and stlll had a 2.4 TBN. Am running the new PYB now and I predict it will last 11K+ with at least 1.5 TBN. And I'm sure Mobil 5000 would do it too.

Conventional oils are better than ever and with GF-5 just around the corner who knows how long dino can last!

Take care,
Gary

P.S. That OCI was with a 4 quart sump. :)

Originally Posted By: addyguy
With the strong synthetic basestock, I have no doubt this oil would do 10-12k in a gasser with ease.....

Originally Posted By: finalyzd
Don't you think your "jumping the gun again" by saying it could do 10k to 12k with ease?

He's in Canada, he means 10-12k kilometers not 10-12k miles.

Originally Posted By: Tucson Five-O
dOOdfOOd,

I ran Chevron Supreme Dino which is Group II+ 9417 miles and stlll had a 2.4 TBN. Am running the new PYB now and I predict it will last 11K+ with at least 1.5 TBN. And I'm sure Mobil 5000 would do it too.

Conventional oils are better than ever and with GF-5 just around the corner who knows how long dino can last!

Take care,
Gary

P.S. That OCI was with a 4 quart sump. :)

Who knows how long dino will be around :). And you really can't apply that to every vehicle just based on your experience and your newer vehicle. If I tried that on my 2003 toyota corolla I would have major sludge problems

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
ESP products are not good for gasoline engines where gasoline contains ethanol. If people use this in a gasoline engine car just because it's an HDEO... best of luck to them. Hope they remember to change it frequently, especially with that TBN of 7.7...

What in particular, makes an ESP oil "inferior" to a traditional HDEO in a gasoline application?

I ask because I'm running one. TBN is 8.11 for the PC Duron-E 0w40.

Could you explain this? i have been considering using this in a gasser. I thought they were basically a low ash HDEO.

In this case, ESP means CJ-4, as this is an API oil. In other cases, like Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 and Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5w40, those are Euro oils. (VAG 507.00, MB 229.51)

Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 is Mobil's flagship oil. This oil, like the entire Delvac line, is a superb oil.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
What in particular, makes an ESP oil "inferior" to a traditional HDEO in a gasoline application?

Originally Posted By: jstutz
Could you explain this? i have been considering using this in a gasser. I thought they were basically a low ash HDEO.

My understanding is that one of the things they sacrifice for emissions system friendliness is acid fighting ability, and that ethanol in fuel increases acid formation by attracting water. Thus, your best OCIs likely wouldn't be as long with an ESP oil and ethanol-containing gasoline.

Honestly, I was being slightly hyperbolic in my earlier statement. The ESP oils should be great in any engine, just so long as you keep a close eye on the TAN and TBN. I was only making a fuss because I don't think most people here will do that, and because HDEOs are a tad overrated here in general.

dOOdfOOd,

You, of course, are right. Many cars are much harder on the oil than my GM. GM has done much research and subsequent engine modification to reduce mechanical shear of oil viscosity. Other problems crop up with new designs like fuel dilution and resultant shear in DI applications. These issues will be overcome too.
Still IMHO most OCIs I see on BITOG can easily be lengthened by 50%, regardless of application or oil used. It would seem BITOGers are a curious, yet conservative bunch.
Just a few thoughts here on a warm (it's still under 100 here so it's not hot yet) Arizona evening.

Take care,
Gary

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: addyguy

Originally Posted By: finalyzd
Don't you think your "jumping the gun again" by saying it could do 10k to 12k with ease?

He's in Canada, he means 10-12k kilometers not 10-12k miles.

I DO mean 10-12k miles, 16-20k km.

I converted it, as most here work in miles....

And I still stand by it.

:D

Originally Posted By: jstutz

My understanding is that one of the things they sacrifice for emissions system friendliness is acid fighting ability, and that ethanol in fuel increases acid formation by attracting water. Thus, your best OCIs likely wouldn't be as long with an ESP oil and ethanol-containing gasoline.

Honestly, I was being slightly hyperbolic in my earlier statement. The ESP oils should be great in any engine, just so long as you keep a close eye on the TAN and TBN. I was only making a fuss because I don't think most people here will do that, and because HDEOs are a tad overrated here in general.

Interesting. My (admittedly brief) readings on CJ-4 oils indicate that they are able to run as long, and in many cases LONGER than their CI-4+ counterparts, even with the lower starting TBN. Which I thought was interesting. It will be neat to see where I stand after 12K as far as TAN/TBN are concerned.

Interesting. My (admittedly brief) readings on CJ-4 oils indicate that they are able to run as long, and in many cases LONGER than their CI-4+ counterparts, even with the lower starting TBN. Which I thought was interesting. It will be neat to see where I stand after 12K as far as TAN/TBN are concerned.

Perhaps. but I'm not sure I buy this "low TBN doesn't matter" story.
I ran a BMW LL04 type oil (Castrol OE Professional 5W30) in our X5 35d for the computer approved 11300 miles. The TBN came back 1.5 and the TAN a very alarming 4.83. This stuff has a starting TBN of about 6.8
I am now looking for some Delvac 1 LE 5W30, an ACEA E6 oil, with the proper S and P to match C3, but TBN 12.6 and ash only 1.0%, just slightly higher.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back