Ford's 3.7 Ti-VTEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
So most new ford police cars are equipped with this engine, unless they have the 3.5L eco-boost. I am skepticle how this engine will handle all the stop and go, excessive idling, 0-60, etc. runs that these are put through daily. Anyone have a guess at how long they will last? They are quick and peppy engines from what i have heard.

Ford had previously offered the 3.5L version of this same engine, slightly less displacement, less horsepower. It would appear Ford got jealous of Chevy's Caprice 3.6L at 301 hp, and "had to" catch up with the Ford 3.7L's 305 hp. Horsepower wars in police fleets.

Taxpayers lose. What they need is somebody independent who will evaluate requirements and not the blank-checks handed out to police fleet departments. Some common sense would be nice.

Well, not really. Taxpayers actually get a bigger "bang for their buck" in a department going with a v6. The v6 supposedly gets better gas mileage, and is supposed to be a quicker, nimbler vehicle, hopefully which will cut down on officers getting in accidents when losing control of... yes, the oh so terrible in anything other than bright blue skies crown Victoria.

Basically a bigger 3.5. It's the same engine used in the Mustang and F150, and the Explorer based Police Vehicle (although turned 90 degrees) so I'd say it's up to the task.

Reading that article link I was surprised that the new PI's with the 3.7 require AWD. That should make things a hoot. I know in the SHO, rain or shine you can just mash the go pedal and she takes off!

The only good thing about Ford using the Taurus as the base for the PI is now people tend to get out of my way!
smile.gif

I service a local police department vehicles and the new Taurus and the explorers rarely see over 12 mpg this is the info that the vehicles give that I'm going off of

Cyclone is a pretty old engine at this point, no reason the 3.7L should have any problems (other than the possibility of cheap/defective OEM parts)

My work truck is a 2011 F-150 with the base 3.7. Currently has 151,000 miles on it. This truck see's very hard use every day. It runs/idles just about all day long around the clock from May-October. So far, we've had to replace the water pump. Rest of the truck has been trouble free. About 1/3 of these miles have been in 4WD. Gas mileage? The read out on the dash generally hover's around 12-12.5 or so. Yeah, I'd buy one of these in a minute.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I service a local police department vehicles and the new Taurus and the explorers rarely see over 12 mpg this is the info that the vehicles give that I'm going off of

Doesn't surprise me - at boost the 3.5 behaves like a 7.0 Liter. And it's a blast to drive in boost!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back