Ford Yellow to Green?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a standard procedure for converting from Ford Yellow/Gold to Regular Green anti-freeze?

Why would you want too? The Ford Yellow is exactly the same as ZerexG-05.
The G-05 is available at most auto stores and is only a buck or so more. IMHO the G-05 is superior to any of the green conventional products and thats what you should be using in your Ford.
Ed

Prestone is already $7/gal. Water is the coolant... The green/yellow stuff is just there to prevent freezing and boilover protection. I plan to change it annually at the very least if not every 6 months. I won't keep it anywhere close to 5 years. My Ford yellow is already starting to turn brown.

I think the yellow stuff is improved for corrosion protection.

I may convert from the green..

Or... where's that old can of Zerone I had somewhere ?

I'll look for the Zerex G-05, but if its significantly more expensive, I'll just switch to Prestone Green.

I just wanted to know IF the Yellow was compatible/interchangeable with the Green.

This is for a 2003 E-250 w/ the 5.4L SOHC V8. As far as I can tell, the cooling components are no different from my 2000 Crown Vic w/ the 4.6L SOHC V8.

It comes to no surprise that Zerex G-05 was nowhere to be found. I picked up a few gallons of Prestone Green for about $6.93/gal and some distilled.

I went to work and dropped 4 gallons of coolant from the E-250 (disconnected the lower hose as well and grabbed 1-2 quarts).

I refilled with a 50/50 mixture and was done. The cooling seems to be more efficient...

In any case, G-05 is supposed to last 5 years but has been on the market for less than that (I did not see it in 1999-2000 model Fords, so therefore it has not been tested in the market for at least 5 years.) I won't participate as a guinea pig.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
In any case, G-05 is supposed to last 5 years but has been on the market for less than that ...

G-05 was first made by BASF in Europe as part of their Glysantin line of coolants. It has been factory fill AND service fill in ALL Mercedes-Benz vehicles since the mid 80s and has a 20-year proven track record of providing superb cooling system protection, particularly in all aluminum engines.

quote:

G-05 was first made by BASF in Europe as part of their Glysantin line of coolants. It has been factory fill AND service fill in ALL Mercedes-Benz vehicles since the mid 80s and has a 20-year proven track record of providing superb cooling system protection, particularly in all aluminum engines.

It has not been factory fill in Fords for more than 5 years and the engine in question is NOT all aluminum.

We have iron blocks with aluminum heads and aluminum radiators. Besides that point, European vehicles and American vehicles aren't the same. From what I read, G-05 just started in Chryslers as well so it does not possess a proven track record in the US in Domestic vehicles.

Isn't Mercedes Benz anti-freeze clear in color? I checked some of the MB boards and they suggested G-05 as an alternative to the factory anti-freeze. If this is the case, then MB has not been using the same G-05 since the 80s.

Regardless of that, I believe G-05 should not cause any problems... but I do not want to test it in my vehicle nor do I want to go on a Holy Grail search for Zerex G-05 in stores. Prestone Green meets my availability requirements at the present time. If G-05 were available at every Walmart and Autozone I would genuinely reconsider the use of Green anti-freeze in all of my Fords.

[ June 07, 2004, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: metroplex ]

quote:

quote:

It has not been factory fill in Fords for more than 5 years and the engine in question is NOT all aluminum.

We have iron blocks with aluminum heads and aluminum radiators. Besides that point, European vehicles and American vehicles aren't the same. From what I read, G-05 just started in Chryslers as well so it does not possess a proven track record in the US in Domestic vehicles.

Isn't Mercedes Benz anti-freeze clear in color? I checked some of the MB boards and they suggested G-05 as an alternative to the factory anti-freeze. If this is the case, then MB has not been using the same G-05 since the 80s.

Regardless of that, I believe G-05 should not cause any problems... but I do not want to test it in my vehicle nor do I want to go on a Holy Grail search for Zerex G-05 in stores. Prestone Green meets my availability requirements at the present time. If G-05 were available at every Walmart and Autozone I would genuinely reconsider the use of Green anti-freeze in all of my Fords.

I don't know why I'm wasting my time, but ...

The color of antifreeze is just the product of the dye used. Mopar G-05 is dyed a shade of orange which is almost the same as DexCool. A big mistake, IMO.

My 99 Chrysler 300M came from the factory with G-05 in it. 1999 model year LH body Chryslers and Dodges were the first models to come with G-05.

And you can say whatever you want, but it is simply a FACT that G-05 has been the factory and service fill for Mercedes since the mid 80s. Period.

Here is a partial list of G-05 factory fill with the year first used and the color:

1984 Mercedes and beyond (light yellow)
1990 John Deere equipment and vehicles and beyond (green)
1999 Chrysler and Dodge LH body and beyond (orange)
2001 Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep and beyond (orange)
2002 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury trucks and SUVS and beyond (yellow)
2003 Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury automobiles and beyond (yellow)

Zerex claims they use a very pale yellow die in their aftermaket service fill G-05 so that it will blend with these various color factory fill G-05 coolants without altering THEIR color. But the chemistry of G-05 is the same in all these applicastions no mater what color it is.

I understood from Zerex's site that Chrysler G-05 is indeed orange in color.

However, after reading a few posts on MB forums - the readers there seemed to not acknowledge the fact that they're using G-05 as factory fill and one person went so far as to suggest Zerex G-05 as an alternative to the MB clear a/f in a 1984 MB something something.

I did not know that about 1999 Chrysler models came with G-05 anti-freeze, however Chryslers are Chryslers. I have not seen any mainstream Ford vehicles using G-05 in the 99-01 MY. IIRC only 02-up Ford trucks and some cars started getting Yellow G-05 and they were still experimenting with mixing G-05 and Green anti-freeze.

This is surprising if other makes have been using G-05 for the past 20 years, and it's weird how I have not seen any G-05 in major auto parts stores since its introduction 20 years ago. By now you'd at least find it in mainstream stores.
dunno.gif

None of the 98-00 Ford Panthers (Crown Victorias, Town Cars, Grand Marquis) had the G-05 fill. I would see taxis and police cars totally benefitting from a 3-5 year coolant service interval instead of 1-2 years. Maybe its "new" for Ford??

http://www.aed-inc.com/new_page_52.htm

quote:

ZEREX G-05 Antifreeze/Coolant

by Valvoline

This is the OE coolant used in these vehicles:

ALL Mercedes Benz Vehicles - 2001 and Beyond

Daimler-Chrysler Vehicles - 2001 and Beyond

Ford Trucks - 2002 and Beyond

Ford Automobiles - 2003 and Beyond

I believe they are indeed correct about Ford trucks and automobiles. No Fords earlier than 2002 ever had the G-05 as factory fill, to the best of my knowledge.

quote:

None of the 98-00 Ford Panthers (Crown Victorias, Town Cars, Grand Marquis) had the G-05 fill. I would see taxis and police cars totally benefitting from a 3-5 year coolant service interval instead of 1-2 years. Maybe its "new" for Ford??

Well, as the list I posted clearly states, 2002 Ford trucks and SUVs were the first Ford vehicles to come with G-05. The cars didn't get it until 2003. So your "Maybe its 'new' for Ford???" is a subtle grasp of the obvious.
rolleyes.gif

Where'd you pull the information about G-05 being factory fill for 1980s MBs? URL please?

FYI I don't care for your attitude.
If you feel you're wasting your time here, LEAVE. I don't need to babysit internet toddlers.

[ June 07, 2004, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: metroplex ]

quote:

Where'd you pull the information about G-05 being factory fill for 1980s MBs? URL please?

FYI I don't care for your attitude.
If you feel you're wasting your time here, LEAVE. I don't need to babysit internet toddlers.

The Valvoline/Zerex web site: Click here.

As for you not caring for my "attitude": TDB. I don't care for your uncanny ability to ignore facts and post drivel as gospel.

But, so as not to offend you further, this will be my last post on this topic in this thread.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back