Ford XL-3 Friction Modifier: Shelf-Life and Fluid's Consistency After Storage

I recently changed my differential fluid. I had a leftover unopened bottle of XL-3 in my garage (had likely been stored there through a couple of winters). When I opened it and added it to the differential I noticed that there were lots of "lumps" or "gels" visible on the walls of the tubing and syringe. Is it normal for the XL-3 to be lumpy when fresh? The last time I used a fresh bottle was too long ago for me to remember. I figure that if it has separated and agglomerated there is no better place to remix it than inside the differential.... However, if it has gone bad and will no longer serve its purpose, I'll have to replace it again.
Has anyone recently used a fresh bottle of XL-3 that can let me know if the fluid is smooth or lumpy when new?

I have had the MOPAR equivalent do the same thing. Just shook the bottle until mixed well and then added.

I think the additive pack is a lot heavier than usual and will fall out of suspension of the carrier oil fluid more quickly.

I have had the MOPAR equivalent do the same thing. Just shook the bottle until mixed well and then added.

I think the additive pack is a lot heavier than usual and will fall out of suspension of the carrier oil fluid more quickly.
Good to know that you were able to remix it by hand. Shouldn't be a problem for the differential to remix it.

Hmmm, I wonder... Being able to smell it means that is it "emitting" volatiles that our noses are sensing. I suppose in theory, once enough of those volatiles have left the bottle into the atmosphere it could become ineffective as a friction modifier and we would be left with mostly just the base oil. Could still take a hundred years for the volatile additives to evaporate below the effective concentration. Could also be that the volatiles have nothing to do with the friction modifying effect.

Back