Ford will not use GM 9 Speed Tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dogememe
My current Escape has the 6F35 and it already shifts worse than the old Escape with only 1/4 of the miles.

I hope that's not indicative of newer 6F35 transmissions also. We have a 2017 2.3 EB that has that transmission. We only have ~21,000 miles on it. I did a drain and fill at 12,200 miles since it's so ridiculously easy to do. I'll do another drain and fill at 25,000 miles then every 25,000 miles after that. Hopefully for $20/change the transmission will last and run for a long time, as we keep our vehicles till they turn to rust, as we live in NJ
mad.gif
. I think the earlier 6F35's had some issues with shifting. Suppository they were corrected for later years and some sort of modification was done to those earlier transmissions to help with the shifting. The only thing I'm not crazy about is it shifts into higher gears at lower speeds to keep the rpm down. I know this is for "economy ratings". I'm "experimenting" using the "Sport" setting in local type driving and it does seem to keep the rpm up at lower speeds. Otherwise it handles the 2.3 EB really well especially when it enters into boost.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
My current Escape has the 6F35 and it already shifts worse than the old Escape with only 1/4 of the miles.

Suppository
they were corrected for later years and some sort of modification was done to those earlier transmissions to help with the shifting. The only thing I'm not crazy about is it shifts into higher gears at lower speeds to keep the rpm down. I know this is for "economy ratings". I'm "experimenting" using the "Sport" setting in local type driving and it does seem to keep the rpm up at lower speeds. Otherwise it handles the 2.3 EB really well especially when it enters into boost.

Whimsey

That should flush things out real good and "correct" it. LOL Just having fun. You have to love the spell checker.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Suppository
they were corrected for later years and some sort of modification was done to those earlier transmissions to help with the shifting. The only thing I'm not crazy about is it shifts into higher gears at lower speeds to keep the rpm down. I know this is for "economy ratings". I'm "experimenting" using the "Sport" setting in local type driving and it does seem to keep the rpm up at lower speeds. Otherwise it handles the 2.3 EB really well especially when it enters into boost.

Whimsey

That should flush things out real good and "correct" it. LOL Just having fun. You have to love the spell checker.

Good catch! Spell check is good and evil
lol.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Suppository

Whimsey

Good catch! Spell check is good and evil
lol.gif

Whimsey

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dave1251
The ZF8 in my Ram is just outstanding.

I think ZF released the 8HP just after Toyota introduced the Aisin 8-speed in the Lexus LS460 and now it's widespread in that lineup. They're just starting to install the 8-speed FWD/AWD unit in the new TNGA cars.

Originally Posted By: nap
Originally Posted By: edyvw

BMW as soon as they started to use ZF8 stated that there is no benefit of adding more then 8 speeds.

BMW’s skepticism was pretty short lasted, by the end of the year they announced they’d use the 9 in next year’s lineup.

Guess that eventually they figured out too that a transverse mounted transmission presents some indeniable advantages to organizing cabin space in sedans lol
laugh.gif

They said this in 2014.
They might move from Aisin to ZF9 in BMW transverse based models like X1.
Transverse engine in 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8? No way. Transvers engine is for vehicles pretending to be cars.

Originally Posted By: nthach

I think ZF released the 8HP just after Toyota introduced the Aisin 8-speed in the Lexus LS460 and now it's widespread in that lineup. They're just starting to install the 8-speed FWD/AWD unit in the new TNGA cars.

ZF released 8HP in 2010. Not sure when Aisin released in LS460. But difference between ZF and Aisin is like comparing 5 speed to 8 speed, especially in BMW's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: nthach

ZF released 8HP in 2010. Not sure when Aisin released in LS460. But difference between ZF and Aisin is like comparing 5 speed to 8 speed, especially in BMW's.

It was 2006 when the then new Lexus LS460 was unveiled - and at the time Toyota claimed the world's first 8-speed automatic. Jatco had a 7-speed unit for Nissan and Hyundai was talking to ZF to source the 6HP for the then Genesis at that time.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
The Nissan Frontier still has the ancient 5 speed trannie from years ago. My Dads Exterra has one and its sweet... ought to be, they’ve had like 2 decades to work the bugs out. To me, Fords’ new 10 speed is overkill but at least most of the owners are happy with it. What’s the point of a 10 speed when in normal driving it shifts 1-3-5-7-9 etc? Makes for a great hot rod though - uses every gear when the throttle is pinned.

Sounds like the auto tranny version of shifting 1-2-5 on an H pattern manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back